This article is about Town Bridge in Bradford on Avon. For other Town Bridges, see Town Bridge.
The historic bridge across the River Avon in Bradford on Avon dates back to the end of the Norman era. Built in the 13th century, it is believed that the original bridge was a narrow packhorse structure, without parapets. As a result, there were reports of people falling in to the river! It was widened fairly early in its life, with parapets added, although only two of the old Norman Arches remain to be seen today.
The bridge was further widened on the western side in the seventeenth century, when the chapel was also added on the eastern side (it was there in 1660). Later in its life, the chapel was used for a variety of other purposes, including the town's lock-up/jail. Today the bridge is grade one listed, and a very important historic structure.