Trent Bridge (Nottingham)
|Location Map ( geo)|
|Crossings related to the A60|
Trent Bridge is a stone and iron bridge linking the centres of Nottingham and West Bridgford. Being a major crossing of the Trent, the roadway is 6 lanes wide, three running each way. It can become very congested at peak periods.
The first bridge on the site was as long ago as 924, when Edward the Elder captured Nottingham, and built a timber bridge with defences on the southern bank. Subsequent bridges were built on the site in 1156 and 1683, with numerous renovations inbetween.
The current bridge was built in 1871 by Andrew Handyside, it replaced an older, narrower bridge, the remains of which can still be seen. When built, it was considered far too wide for the future traffic that would use it; even so, it was widened to its current state by 1926, which doubled its width.
|Motorway M1, Loughborough, Melton (A606), Birmingham (A453), Derby (A52), East Midlands Airport 12.|
|Grantham (A52), Southwell (A612)|