Tweed Bridge (Peebles)
|Location Map ( geo)|
|1465, 1799, 1834, 1901|
The River Tweed cuts through the middle of the County Town of Peebles, and is crossed by just one bridge, the Tweed Bridge, which carries the B7062. The bridge is an ancient structure, which dates back to at least the 15th Century. It is not clear whether or not the records from c1465 relate to the construction, or significant repair of the bridge, as it seems probable that there had been a bridge on this site for a century or two earlier. The structure we see today, however, is substantially different again to that ancient bridge.
The old bridge still exists, albeit heavily encased in later work. It was widened in 1834, on both sides and then the width was doubled again on the eastern side in 1901. It is this work which is most prominent, including the iron lamps erected on the parapets over the piers. The bridge consists of 5 stone arches across the river channel. In 1799 between one and three additional arches were added on the south bank (records vary), presumably to provide additional flood clearance. However, in the 1860s these were replaced by the square topped span over the then new railway line.
Just around the corner from the Tweed Bridge, the A72 crosses the Eddlestone Water, a small tributary of the Tweed on Cuddy Bridge. The bridge is a single arch span, faced in stone but appears to be a concrete structure underneath. A plaque on the bridge says that it was reconstructed in 1984, and as this is the same year that the town suffered some floods, it seems likely that the bridge was damaged in the floods.