Victoria Bridge (Haddington)
|Location Map ( geo)|
Victoria Bridge was completed in 1900 as a modern replacement for the much older Nungate Bridge a little to the south. It is a twin span steel (or iron?) arch bridge, with each span consisting of 8 ribs supporting the deck. The substantial central pier sits in the river and is surrounded by a large stone cutwater. Th comparatively slender stone pier rises up to the parapets, where it supports the lamp posts. The remainder of the parapets are iron balustrades.
The bridge endured a long gestation period, originally being planned as early as 1849. However, for whatever reason nothing was done. In the 1880s there were plans to use components from the collapsed Tay Rail Bridge, but again no works commenced, and so it was not until 1898 that work started. The structure was thoroughly refurbished in 1975.