Weybridge Lock Bridge
|Weybridge Lock Bridge|
|Location Map ( geo)|
There has been a bridge at this location, since at least the 7th century. The first recorded evidence of a bridge here is from 675. The current Weybridge Lock Bridge was built in 1865, and crosses the River Wey on the original route of the A317. It is situated just to the west of Weybridge, and is the penultimate bridge before the river enters the Thames, having been replaced by a newer crossing about a hundred metres to the north. It's been a signal controlled and width-restricted crossing since it's renovation in 2003.
A plaque was put up on the bridge then, which reads;
"This Grade 2 listed three-span cast iron bridge was built in 1865 to the design of C.H. Howell, County Surveyor of Surrey. It replaced an 1808 thirteen span wooden bridge. The foundry name of Hennet, Spink and Else is displayed on the crown of each arch beam. The words "Joseph Hamblet, Oldbury, near Birmingham, 1865" are impressed in bricks forming the parapet wall. The first reference to a bridge at this site was in a document of 675 AD relating to Chertsey Abbey. It was from a bridge such as this that the name Weybridge was derived."