|Location Map ( geo)|
|The Bridge in 1971 looking north|
|Durham • Yorkshire|
Whorlton Bridge crosses the River Tees between County Durham and Yorkshire with the northen end being in the County Durham village of Whorlton. The bridge was opened in 1831 and designed by John and Benjamin Green. Listed at grade 2* in 1952, the bridge is a suspension bridge with wooden deck strung from wrought iron chains designed. It is reputed to be the oldest suspension bridge in the UK relying on original chainwork.
The bridge was built as part of a turnpike to replace an existing ferry and ford downstream; the former toll house sits on the north bank of the Tees. An initial attempt at a bridge at this location was swept away by floods in 1829.
The bridge had a restriction imposed in 1985 allowing only one vehicle on the structure at a time, and in July 2019 was closed to motor traffic following weaknesses being found in the structure. In December 2020, it was also closed to pedestrians and cycle traffic.
- Graces Guide to British Industrial History: Whorlton Bridge (05.12.2020) (archive.org)
- Durham Crow: Whorlton Bridge (archive.org)
- Darlington Council: Whorlton suspension bridge closed (24.07.2019) (archive.org)
- BBC News: Whorlton Bridge near Barnard Castle closed over safety worries (05.12.2020) (archive.org)