|Location Map ( geo)|
|1665, 1776, 1809, 1877|
|Crossings related to the A99|
There has been a bridge in Wick for hundreds of years, the first records mentioning one dating back to 1665, although it does not appear to have been built then. This was a wooden bridge spanning between stone piers, and was refurbished in 1776 at which time there were 11 piers, and presumably therefore 12 spans. This bridge was replaced in 1809 by a new bridge built further downstream to a design by Thomas Telford. It was built under his commission for Highland roads and bridges, and consisted of 3 stone arches, the widest in the centre, although unusually the two side spans were different widths due to the bank conditions.
The current bridge was built in 1877, which appears to use the same footings for the piers as Telford's bridge. It is not clear why the bridge needed replacing, although the current crossing carries a wider and flatter roadway than its predecessor. Shallow pilasters rise up the piers to provide small refuges in the parapets, albeit filled by street lights! The roadway is a full two-lanes wide, with wide pavements on either side, and carries Bridge Street, the A99 north in to the town centre.