Wiki:Things to do
We've written a lot of articles, but there are still other, minor tasks that need doing! The good news is that most of these tasks only takes a few minutes, and each one helps things improve. So why not give it a go?
- If you are a developer and want to help contribute development time to help us make the wiki, maps, and web forum better, please get in contact
- 1 Everyday Tasks
- 2 Wiki Projects
- 3 Bridges and other Crossings
- 4 Requested Articles
- 5 Maps
- 6 Images and video content
- 7 General Maintenance
- 8 Articles that need work
- 9 Countries
- 10 The Top 100 Pages
Link forum threads to talk pages
Where a forum thread provides useful information on an existing or new piece of road, why not link the thread to the wiki article's talk page? Examples include Talk:A120
New legislation is published daily on http://legislation.gov.uk and http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/ - any relevant to roads should be linked to on their relevant wiki pages - see A6144(M) as an example of how to do this.
Road schemes can have their own pages; for example A14/Huntingdon_to_Cambridge_Improvement. Detail about the scheme should be added, and available consultation documents, scheme updates, plans etc. linked - try also taking copies of documentation/pages at [archive.org] - our Link and Ref templates allow for a secondary archival URL to be specified
The Great C Road Hunt
Irish T & L Road system
See: T and L roads (Ireland) - these pages need:
- a map with a route trace in the infobox
- a mapbox showing the road on older mapping from the period
- improvements to route description
- images from the period (if available)
L30A has some examples to copy from!
There's also now a number of SABRE Maps layers with T and L roads on them - look around the Half Inch, Quarter Inch and NI Road Maps layers especially.
We're working at making our road signs pages better - see forums thread for further information here.
Mountain and Hill Passes
We've made a start at mountain and hill passes.. but there is still a lot to do.
- Template:Hill passes
- http://www.sabre-roads.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=36650&p=864621#p864621 - Forum thread
Many junctions have got names - many of which are pubs or landmarks by the junction (a large number of which are no longer present!). You can help by including your own local knowledge, or researching junction names and (in either case) contributing the results to the articles, with links to supporting evidence (if available). A list of junctions is here: Category:Junctions.
Also, you can use Template:Mapbox to add maps of the junction at earlier points in history.
Bridges and other Crossings
Many of our pages on crossings need extra work, to provide historical information, add images, or technical data. Similarly, there are many that are missing - even adding a new stub page doesn't take long and allows a framework for others to build from.
Prior to local authorities and trunk road agents, Turnpike Roads existed within the British Isles. We've started to list turnpikes under their relevant turnpike trusts by County.... but much more work is needed. This could include short route descriptions and map traces - but some areas are lacking even basic lists.
Other Larger projects
If you're looking to get involved in something in more depth, then the following may be things you might like to consider:
- Category:Projects - A list of improvements in a particular area of the SABRE Wiki
Feel free to put here any articles that you would like to be created. Equally, feel free to create and add information to any of the articles below:
- NC500 - Forums Thread
- Operation Stack - Forums Thread
- Operation Brock - Forums Thread
- Road Markings/Red Route
- Pedestrianised areas
- Low Emission Zone
- Grand Trunk Road (India) (the first recorded use of the phrase "trunk road" was in relation to this road)
- Adding more historic maps to SABRE Maps (forum thread) - there are three principle elements to this:
- Scanning Maps (scanner needed)
- Stitching Maps (graphics editing skills advantageous)
- Georeferencing (Warping) Maps (e.g. match points on the stitched map image with OSM)
So, rather than needing to complete the task from start to finish, you could just play a part in the process.
- Wiki:Defunct roads without a map - A listing of all defunct roads which do not have a map specified. These will need a historical map uploaded for use, or a SABRE Maps extract added, which is explained in Help:Routeboxes.
- Old maps make any historical wiki article better, be it about a change in junction over time, or information about the location of a road feature - see Template:Mapbox for more information.
SABREMaps offers the ability to trace a route - there are may places that route traces are useful - for example, we have traced of routes of the original the First 99 at Classification - Wiki:Community_Portal/1923_Route_Traces. Other things to do here:
- Trace more of the 1923 original classification, traces can then be put in a mapbox on the road page, e.g. A602
- Trace Irish T and L Roads
- Add traces to other articles/videos
Images and video content
- Wiki:Pages needing images - A list of all pages without images. You can find images yourself when out and about, or alternatively upload images from Geograph or Flickr directly with our upload tool.
- Category:Pictures without coords lists all images without location information - if you know where an image was taken, please add the coordinates.
- Maybe you've got your own video content of a new route opening uploaded to your Youtube Channel, or maybe you've stumbled across an official documentary or scheme update. Video content can be linked and embedded into Wiki pages, e.g. Video:Hatfield_Tunnel_-_Concept_to_Reality
- Wiki:Maintenance Categories - a well maintained wiki is a healthy wiki - lots of day-to-day maintenance is required for anyone with a bit of spare time
- Copyediting and updating pages - if you're reading existing content, and feel that it could be re-written in a neutral style, or you've got some additional information add - edit the page and do so!
- Page Ratings - see Template:Rating - each page has a rating - when looking at a page, does it deserve three stars rather than one? If so, it's a simple job to edit the page and increase to three stars.
- Referencing - if facts and information come from elsewhere, get credit for the source, using Template:Ref
Articles that need work
- Category:Unrated articles and Category:1 star articles both list articles where extra content is most desperately needed.
- Category:Pages That May Need Updating - A list of all articles where an update has been requested
- Category:Incomplete Lists - Lists that are known to be incomplete
- If you have information about other countries, and want to create or update their pages, see: Category:Countries and Template:Country
- If you know of a road or piece of infrastructure that is of international significance, or is somehow related to SABRE's core coverage, feel free to create a page - examples include the Millau Viaduct in France and London Bridge in Arizona.
The Top 100 Pages
It's simple really - we've taken the 100 most commonly accessed articles on SABRE's main resource, and are asking people to pitch in and help out in improving them.
All articles in the Top 100 Hits are given a star rating, and the simple goal is to get them all moved up. We have a nice table laid out on this page: which both shows all of the entries in the Top 100 Hits and will automatically update as we're going along.
Those articles are dotted around the country, with a few general topics in there too, so there should be something there for everyone to be able to get involved with!
If you're not sure where to start, then this post contains some useful guidance and some Q & A items.