Boreholes from Ilchester (A303) to Pucklechurch (M4)

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

gepree68

Boreholes from Ilchester (A303) to Pucklechurch (M4)

Post by gepree68 »

Pucklechurch Ilchester.png
Pucklechurch.png
Between Ilchester (A303 / A37) and Pucklechurch (near Bristol / M4 J18-J19) there is a 1980 line of boreholes.

The route of these boreholes is shown as the Red Dotted Line on the left map.

Do these boreholes indicate a planned route from A303 to M4, or is it just some other thing such as water pipes?
KeithW

Re: Boreholes from Ilchester (A303) to Pucklechurch (M4)

Post by KeithW »

gepree68 wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 14:25 Between Ilchester (A303 / A37) and Pucklechurch (near Bristol / M4 J18-J19) there is a 1980 line of boreholes.

Do these boreholes indicate a planned route from A303 to M4, or is it just some other thing such as water pipes?

More information is needed before any conclusion can be reached - who produced the maps for starters. I looked at power lines and gas pipelines but couldnt find a match. Hansard didnt throw up anything which is not surprising as in 1980 the new government was trying to crystalize its policies.
Last edited by KeithW on Mon May 29, 2023 15:36, edited 1 time in total.
gepree68

Post by gepree68 »

KeithW wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 15:16
gepree68 wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 14:25 Between Ilchester (A303 / A37) and Pucklechurch (near Bristol / M4 J18-J19) there is a 1980 line of boreholes.

More information is needed before any conclusion can be reached - who produced the maps for starters.
I found the route on https://mapapps.bgs.ac.uk/mapshop/home.html?layers=7

On this page, just below where it says Boreholes, search for ilchester.
Last edited by gepree68 on Mon May 29, 2023 15:36, edited 1 time in total.
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

Intriguingly the BGS borehole records don't state who or what they were for - there is normally a client or a scheme name, but these all just say "Ilminster to Pucklechurch" with no further information. I have to say though that the very direct line and the long distance covered means it looks more like a pipeline than a road scheme.

Near Pucklechurch there is an A4 Saltford Bypass that was never built (boreholes ca 1972) and an Avon Ring Road that seems to run from the A4174 north of Bristol to the A46 northeast of Bath, so this has led me to two new discoveries that are very welcome!
Last edited by Chris5156 on Mon May 29, 2023 15:37, edited 1 time in total.
RichardA35
Elected Committee Member

Post by RichardA35 »

gepree68 wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 14:25 Do these boreholes indicate a planned route from A303 to M4, or is it just some other thing such as water pipes?
High pressure gas pipeline sheet ST on gas network maps here gives the precise route
KeithW

Post by KeithW »

Chris5156 wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 15:35 Intriguingly the BGS borehole records don't state who or what they were for - there is normally a client or a scheme name, but these all just say "Ilminster to Pucklechurch" with no further information. I have to say though that the very direct line and the long distance covered means it looks more like a pipeline than a road scheme.

Near Pucklechurch there is an A4 Saltford Bypass that was never built (boreholes ca 1972) and an Avon Ring Road that seems to run from the A4174 north of Bristol to the A46 northeast of Bath, so this has led me to two new discoveries that are very welcome!
That was the clue needed - I found this
https://mapapps.bgs.ac.uk/mapshop/home.html?layers=7 wrote: Donovan, D T, Bennett, R, Bristow, C R, Carpenter, S C, Green, G W, Hawkes, C J, Prudden, H C and Stanton W I. 1989. Geology of a gas pipeline from Ilchester (Somerset) to Pucklechurch (Avon), 1985. Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society for 1988, Vol.132, 297-317.
DB617

Post by DB617 »

That A4 Saltford Bypass looks like one heck of a challenge to build. Interestingly the failure of the scheme to materialise has likely factored in Wessex Water's decision to build their own heavy duty access from the A431 to Saltford Mead Lane treatment works (now in preliminary construction). Until now all tankers, mobile cranes and deliveries have had to navigate Mead Lane which is barely wide enough for one car between parked vehicles and old buildings.
Truvelo

Post by Truvelo »

The Saltford Bypass was an eastward continuation the Keynsham Bypass. It was ultimately a part of a failed Bath Tunnel scheme which would have seen a continuously dualled and GSJ'd A4 from the eastern edge of Bristol to Batheaston.
Attachments
saltf.jpg
How would you like your grade separations, Sir?
Big and complex.
rileyrob

Post by rileyrob »

Not sure I've ever seen a plan for the Saltford Bypass before. I always understood it predominantly used the old Midland Railway formation, but nice to see that on a plan. As for the Bath Tunnel, I believe that it was only seriously on the table for quite a short time and already pretty much a dead duck by the time of the oil crisis in 1973/4, despite not being formally abandoned until c1980. If the Saltford Bypass plans date from around 1972, then I don't think the two quite tie up as neatly as that, but maybe it is just enough of an overlap, and the two were dropped together.
Walcot Street in Bath was a frequent urban case study at Uni, so if I can find my old notes I might have more specific dating for the tunnel plans.
Rob.
My mission is to travel every road and visit every town, village and hamlet in the British Isles.
I don't like thinking about how badly I am doing.

From the SABRE Wiki: Bath Tunnel :

The Bath Tunnel was a rather fantastic proposal to ram a Dual Carriageway tunnel under the Georgian heart of Bath in the mid-1960s.

In the late 1940s, Patrick Abercrombie produced details of transport issues for a number of cities for the Government. One of

... Read More