A465 Heads Of The Valleys Dualling; Dowlais Top To Hirwaun

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Octaviadriver

Re: A465 Heads Of The Valleys Dualling; Dowlais Top To Hirwaun

Post by Octaviadriver » Fri Jul 09, 2021 19:55

Today I went along the section eastbound from the A470 roundabout to Dowlais Top and back and all the S2+1 section is now coned off to to a single lane in both directions with road markings painted to follow the new layout. Also, both the junctions at Cefn Coed that were only accessible to and from from the left with no right turns onto opposite carriageway now have mini-roundabouts so that traffic can now turn right and so each junction can be accessed to and from all directions. I'm not quite sure why they've done this and can only think that if one is temporarily closed when work gets underway, traffic can still have access via the other.

Hdeng16

Post by Hdeng16 » Fri Jul 09, 2021 22:51

Octaviadriver wrote:
Fri Jul 09, 2021 19:55
Today I went along the section eastbound from the A470 roundabout to Dowlais Top and back and all the S2+1 section is now coned off to to a single lane in both directions with road markings painted to follow the new layout. Also, both the junctions at Cefn Coed that were only accessible to and from from the left with no right turns onto opposite carriageway now have mini-roundabouts so that traffic can now turn right and so each junction can be accessed to and from all directions. I'm not quite sure why they've done this and can only think that if one is temporarily closed when work gets underway, traffic can still have access via the other.
That’s basically what they did early on in the other sections. The mini roundabouts serve the purpose you suggested but also allow works traffic to turn around and access various works areas faster

Bryn666

Post by Bryn666 » Sun Jul 11, 2021 13:12

Hdeng16 wrote:
Fri Jul 09, 2021 22:51
Octaviadriver wrote:
Fri Jul 09, 2021 19:55
That’s basically what they did early on in the other sections. The mini roundabouts serve the purpose you suggested but also allow works traffic to turn around and access various works areas faster
Pretty much exactly this. You may recall the U-turn at Brynmawr which took several inattentive eastbound drivers by surprise when first installed!
Bryn
Traffic/Road Safety Dogsbody and General Grumpy Now-a-Thirtysomething Man
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/

Octaviadriver

Post by Octaviadriver » Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:00

Last week, I walked along the Taff Trail from Cyfarthfa Retail Park to the bridge over the A465 whilst SWMBO was shopping. Work is progressing and I took these photos:-
IMG_20211021_121457581_HDR.jpg
The above was taken from the Cefn Coed Viaduct of the Roundabout where the A465 and A470 cross. The men are working on the hill well above the level of the current roads.
IMG_20211021_120155318_HDR.jpg
This was from the Taff Trail bridge over the A465 looking east. There are some extensive works going on where they're cutting into the hill.
IMG_20211021_120631209_HDR.jpg
And this is looking west from the Taff trail bridge over the A465. It's not the best of photos but it was the only point I could get a clear shot around the wire mesh. The bridge is the old railway bridge that carried the Brecon to Merthyr Tydfil line and I'd guess it carried very little traffic between the opening of the Merthyr Tydfil bypass and the closure of the line. They are building the road up on the left hand side of the road here and the bridge that you can just about see in the photo that carries the A4065 over the A465 is currently closed.

thegadgetlad

Post by thegadgetlad » Wed Nov 10, 2021 10:46

For anyone interested in the Section 5 & 6 scheme, I've posted an update video on my YouTube channel, A465 updates https://youtu.be/qK6FRRL4waU

Notable recent progress includes vegetation clearance at Croesbychan, and works to prepare for new temporary roundabouts at Taf Fechan and Pant Junction.

AAndy

Post by AAndy » Sat Nov 20, 2021 16:49

A couple of photos from this week looking East from near the A470.
Attachments
a465 d s.jpg
a465 s.jpg
a465 e.jpg