'Missing' primary route destinations

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Jonny A46

Re: 'Missing' primary route destinations

Post by Jonny A46 »

What's wrong with the A470 hairpin in the B4391? You say it's like Loews Hairpin - if Formula One cars can tackle that hairpin, then road cars can tackle the one on the A470! Anyway, it is the closest you can get to Monte Carlo in Wales!
worcsfan

Post by worcsfan »

Nothing wrong with me- everything wrong with artics! 8-)
Jonny A46

Post by Jonny A46 »

Could Brackley be a primary destination? It sort of acts as a compass point for Oxford, Banbury, Northampton and Milton Keynes. To be fair, it's not as much as a compass point as Crianlarich is in Scotland, but it's bigger and the A43 and A422 meet there, with the A421 a couple of miles down the road, and the M40 not far off . It would also work nicely as a destination for Silverstone, and it's home to the Brawn GP factory. :)
Stevie D

Post by Stevie D »

Jonny A46 wrote:Could Brackley be a primary destination? It sort of acts as a compass point for Oxford, Banbury, Northampton and Milton Keynes. To be fair, it's not as much as a compass point as Crianlarich is in Scotland, but it's bigger and the A43 and A422 meet there, with the A421 a couple of miles down the road, and the M40 not far off . It would also work nicely as a destination for Silverstone, and it's home to the Brawn GP factory. :)
I would have thought that Towcester would be better - it's on a primary crossroads (and the A5 needs some more primary destinations!) rather than 3-way junction, and it's better known, with the horse racing there.

But really, I don't think it's a problem signposting the road as Oxford/Banbury and Northampton.
Jonny A46

Post by Jonny A46 »

Towcester certainly wouldn't be a bad idea, and neither would keeping it as it is, but the reason why I suggested Brackley as a primary destination was that it works for the A421 and A422 as well as the A43 (and of course the M40 and A34 to Oxford). From Oxford (A34/A43) and Banbury (A422) Brackley could be signed instead of Northampton (A43 N) and Milton Keynes (A421), from Northampton it could be signed instead of Banbury (A43/A422) and Oxford (A43), and from MK it could be signed instead of Banbury (A421/A422 this time) and Oxford (A421/A43).
Gareth Thomas

Post by Gareth Thomas »

My vote would be for Faversham. It's at the meeting place of 3 major routes (M2, A2 and A299), all of which are currently signed "London".

Plus if you're using the M2 corridor, it's a long gap between London and Canterbury/Ramsgate.

Re: the Medway towns - whilst I would suuport Rochester becoming primary, perhaps the reason the area isn't is because Maidstone is just down the road? Plus no primary routes go into the area - the A228 and A229 both lose their primary status at the M2, which seems to be the "primary destination" on these roads.

Slightly OT: Is the A228 in Kent the only primary route not to feature a primary destination on signage in either direction? Near the M20, it is signed for Tonbridge and Rochester - neither of which are primary.
My journey with testicular cancer!
https://garethishalfnuts.wordpress.com/

"Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads..."
-Dr Emmett Brown