What's the shortest route to drive ALL of Spaghetti?

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Matthew

What's the shortest route to drive ALL of Spaghetti?

Post by Matthew »

Living in the West Midlands, I've driven over the Gravelly Hill interchange, but I'm not entirely sure I've done every link road.

So, can you think of a way to do every motorway specification slip road within the smallest mileage? In Google Maps, I've drawn up an initial plan here https://goo.gl/maps/GxbY5xh1Bip which suggests 65 miles.

Things to consider:

1. I'm just looking at slip roads, not the main carriageway; so the M6 north and south within junction 6 can be disregarded.
2. All u-turns, etc. must be legal.
3. You can use a slip road more than once.
4. It has to cover all motorway standard link roads.
5. To "double back" you can use a road not on the interchange.
6. The measurements should start immediately from a slip road.

There's the added problem in Google, incidentally, that you can only have up to 11 way points.

I'm sure there are some questions I haven't thought of but this, hopefully, covers all eventualities.
Opinion is purely my own and all those other exceptions and excuses.
Big L
Deputy Site Manager

Re: What's the shortest route to drive ALL of Spaghetti?

Post by Big L »

I'm looking at a tiny image on my phone but I think you've missed the slips from A38M to A5127 towards Erdington.
Make poetry history.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Help with maps using the new online calibrator.
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki.
Matthew

Post by Matthew »

There's this bit here... https://www.google.co.uk/maps/dir/52.50 ... m0!1m0!3e0

But I haven't included the slips on to the A5127 from Salford as they're not motorway standard.
Big L
Deputy Site Manager

Post by Big L »

How so?
Make poetry history.

Chris Bertram

Post by Chris Bertram »

Matthew wrote:There's this bit here... https://www.google.co.uk/maps/dir/52.50 ... m0!1m0!3e0

But I haven't included the slips on to the A5127 from Salford as they're not motorway standard.
I think Big L is referring to the continuation of the motorway onto the mainline of Gravelly Hill, not the slips up from the roundabout. But is that included or excluded from the exercise?
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
Big L
Deputy Site Manager

Post by Big L »

Also, you can't U-turn at the Tyburn Road/Jarvis Way lights. You need to go up Jarvis way and U-turn after a couple of hundred yards.
Make poetry history.

A9NWIL

Post by A9NWIL »

Big L wrote:Also, you can't U-turn at the Tyburn Road/Jarvis Way lights. You need to go up Jarvis way and U-turn after a couple of hundred yards.
That increases the overall distance: https://www.google.co.uk/maps/dir/52.50 ... m0!1m0!3e0

The interesting point with this junction is could they have got away with not connecting the motorways directly with the A5127.
They could have made the Tyburn Road/Jarvis Way junction a roundabout and that could have connected back to the A5127.
The A38/A38(M) could have been built fully freeflow in all directions with the M6 then.
Last edited by A9NWIL on Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:10, edited 1 time in total.
Formerly known as 'lortjw'
M4 Cardiff

Post by M4 Cardiff »

shouldnt your route also include going straight through on the M6, both ways?
Driving thrombosis caused this accident......a clot behind the wheel.
AndyB
Elected Committee Member

Post by AndyB »

61.2 miles, omitting the mainline.
A9NWIL

Post by A9NWIL »

AndyB wrote:61.2 miles, omitting the mainline.
You are still using the U turn at the point thats illegal at the Tyburn Road/Jarvis Way lights, so...
Big L
Deputy Site Manager

Post by Big L »

lotrjw wrote:
You are still using the U turn at the point thats illegal at the Tyburn Road/Jarvis Way lights, so...
I see no A38(M) to M6 (N).
Make poetry history.

Stevie D

Post by Stevie D »

Given that the biggest section of "dead" mileage is the unavoidable run along M6 to the east, you need to make sure you only do that once. Although you need to exit/enter the M6(E) twice to do both branches of the slip road, if you start from the westbound off-slip and finish on the eastbound on-slip then you are only doing the run out to J4 once. Even if it means a bit more doubling back in the vicinity of the junction, you've saved yourself 16 miles there so you can afford a bit more running around. Perry Barr is only half as far, so you can afford to go there twice.
Stevie D

Post by Stevie D »

Stevie D wrote:Given that the biggest section of "dead" mileage is the unavoidable run along M6 to the east, you need to make sure you only do that once. Although you need to exit/enter the M6(E) twice to do both branches of the slip road, if you start from the westbound off-slip and finish on the eastbound on-slip then you are only doing the run out to J4 once. Even if it means a bit more doubling back in the vicinity of the junction, you've saved yourself 16 miles there so you can afford a bit more running around. Perry Barr is only half as far, so you can afford to go there twice.
47.5 miles although you'll need to add a little bit on to make a legal U-turn on Jarvis Way ... I don't think I've missed any required slip roads out!
A9NWIL

Post by A9NWIL »

Big L wrote:
lotrjw wrote:
I see no A38(M) to M6 (N).
I didnt spot that on AndyB's version very true! Fail and looks like its up the M6 north again to sort that out! Fixed again! but this time its longer than mine!

Im wondering if its partly to do with using temporary alteration points and they dont save on google?
A9NWIL

Post by A9NWIL »

Stevie D wrote:
Stevie D wrote:Given that the biggest section of "dead" mileage is the unavoidable run along M6 to the east, you need to make sure you only do that once. Although you need to exit/enter the M6(E) twice to do both branches of the slip road, if you start from the westbound off-slip and finish on the eastbound on-slip then you are only doing the run out to J4 once. Even if it means a bit more doubling back in the vicinity of the junction, you've saved yourself 16 miles there so you can afford a bit more running around. Perry Barr is only half as far, so you can afford to go there twice.
47.5 miles although you'll need to add a little bit on to make a legal U-turn on Jarvis Way ... I don't think I've missed any required slip roads out!
Like this?

The thing is you would have to come from somewhere you cant realistically start in the middle of a motorway!

I think we might need to add a rule that says starting and finishing in places where you can legally park, they can be different places though. Mine with parking in Copeley Hill, I had started and ended on the roundabout before so this only adds a few hundred metres to my overall distance both come up as 108km but my old one comes up 67 miles and my new one comes up 67.3 miles.
Stevie D

Post by Stevie D »

lotrjw wrote:I think we might need to add a rule that says starting and finishing in places where you can legally park, they can be different places though.
Why? The original post included the rule:
A9NWIL

Post by A9NWIL »

Stevie D wrote:
lotrjw wrote:I think we might need to add a rule that says starting and finishing in places where you can legally park, they can be different places though.
It should be realistic enough to drive without adding extra distance to the route from a parking position.
Matthew

Post by Matthew »

Sincere apologies I've not been keeping up to date with my own query.
Stevie D wrote:
I thought it easier to mention from a decision point, rather than a previous exit. Whilst there's an argument that if you were using the M6 southbound you'd measure from J7, I thought it easier to look purely from a starting point where you can go more than one way.