You know you're a road geek when...

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

doebag

Re: You know you're a road geek when...

Post by doebag »

Ritchie333 wrote:... you purposefully drive "the old road" from A to B because the motorway route (which is 5 times quicker) is "dull".
This is me, or possibly any motorcycle rider.
KeithW

Post by KeithW »

RichardA626 wrote:
Or you watch an old TV programme just for the period road scenes, especially spotting cars that are now collector's items.
Or more fun than that spotting types of cars you owned. Life on Mars had me hooked from the moment I spotted the GXL Cortina having owned one in the same colour complete with Vinyl Roof. I can even remember the registration - CDC 228K .

It handled like a runaway Grand Piano but thats another story.
Mattemotorway

Post by Mattemotorway »

You have a road atlas from every year since 1984.
My old posts are just downright embarrassing.

Expects to climb the job ladder quickly and is often glued to my phone... Apparently..
drm567

Post by drm567 »

SWMBO yawns and says "yes dear" in reply to your explanation on why a road sign is wrong - for the umpteenth time!
multiraider2

Post by multiraider2 »

doebag wrote:
Ritchie333 wrote:... you purposefully drive "the old road" from A to B because the motorway route (which is 5 times quicker) is "dull".
It's certainly me. If there's a reasonable way to go and enough time, I'll miss the motorwaty or of as much of it as I can. Part of my whole enjoyment of roads is in the observing of the unfolding scene ahead. On a motorway, with some obvious exceptions, it doesn't unfold much.
ais523

Re: You know you're a road geek when…

Post by ais523 »

…a road is closed due to an incident but you have not only the official diversion memorised, but also a range of unofficial diversions that can be used.
A303Chris

Post by A303Chris »

Most of the above apply plus watching a film or TV series and saying "you wouldn't go from A to B that way" or "If they are driving to Scotland, why are they southbound on the M5 in Devon"

And that bloody TV advert for AA with the young child, at least they've shortened it and cut out the road sign which had two roads which never meet or destinations which the roads never went to. Also both roads were "5" roads and the filming was on the A22 and A21.
The M25 - The road to nowhere
KeithW

Re: You know you're a road geek when…

Post by KeithW »

ais523 wrote:…a road is closed due to an incident but you have not only the official diversion memorised, but also a range of unofficial diversions that can be used.
I have a large number of such diversion routes in my head after 40 years flogging and down the A1 including 3 alternates for the Doncaster bypass depending on the time of day :)
Owain
Elected Committee Member

Post by Owain »

doebag wrote:
Or someone doing the F99 Challenge, which is proving to be an absolute absurdity!
Last edited by Owain on Fri May 11, 2018 22:51, edited 1 time in total.
Former President & F99 Driver

Viva la Repubblica!
jgharston

Post by jgharston »

I do that all the time along the A168/A6055. Last week I added the unclassified bit south of the A64.
multiraider2

Post by multiraider2 »

You decide that there simply is no reasonable "usual" route home from the holidays and having no other navigator in the car, look up and memorise all the turns on an alternative route home that may make you less stressed.

So this year I'll be driving what I seem to always be diverting partly along in other years and thus this.
Norfolktolancashire

Post by Norfolktolancashire »

multiraider2 wrote:You decide that there simply is no reasonable "usual" route home from the holidays and having no other navigator in the car, look up and memorise all the turns on an alternative route home that may make you less stressed.

So this year I'll be driving what I seem to always be diverting partly along in other years and thus this.
Looks a good cross country route avoiding most of the potential holdups.

I have had much practice in using "diversion" routes going NW from Taunton to Bristol coming back from Cornwall, all with limited sucess. I will find one one day........
skiddaw05

Post by skiddaw05 »

I take a detour on a cross country route to include the lower reaches of the M1 so I can drive under the Owen Williams bridges.
CrazyInWeston

Post by CrazyInWeston »

Driving the A39 from Bridgwater and then taking A399/A361 route over Dartmoor just cos you're bored. Oh and just for the ability to say "I went up the steepest A road in the country today." (Porlock Hill on A39)
KeithW

Post by KeithW »

CrazyInWeston wrote:Driving the A39 from Bridgwater and then taking A399/A361 route over Dartmoor just cos you're bored. Oh and just for the ability to say "I went up the steepest A road in the country today." (Porlock Hill on A39)
Done both those things - mind you I was on holiday at the time :)
Chris56000

Post by Chris56000 »

Hi!

You drive through as many suburbs as you can on a long–distance route to see how many "local direction" signs to churches, doctors, local schools, scout–huts, local shops, W.I's, etc., etc., (of the type that the CPR727 Report on "Sign Clutter" says should be got rid of!), you can count per mile!!

Chris Williams
jonnyf90

Post by jonnyf90 »

A303Chris wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 13:42 And that bloody TV advert for AA with the young child, at least they've shortened it and cut out the road sign which had two roads which never meet or destinations which the roads never went to. Also both roads were "5" roads and the filming was on the A22 and A21.
What annoys me most about the advert is the fact a 5 year old Mazda 3 with less than 40k miles is "breaking down" due to what looks like a loose coolant temperature sensor.
Una vida, bien vivida.
Veni, vidi, vici.
The Devil's Armpit

Post by The Devil's Armpit »

.............. the removal of an iconic bridge many years ago still causes illogical pangs of sadness.
Attachments
Montrose-The-New-Bridge-An-Old.jpg
A72

Post by A72 »

Ritchie333 wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 18:15 ... you purposefully drive "the old road" from A to B because the motorway route (which is 5 times quicker) is "dull".
Guilty! I like to take the B7076 and B7078, instead of the M6 - sorry, A74(M).
The 7-Zone Challenge
A roads: 71/71
B roads: 181/181
Total: 252/252

Completed: 04/11/20.
Owain
Elected Committee Member

Post by Owain »

jonnyf90 wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 22:22
A303Chris wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 13:42 And that bloody TV advert for AA with the young child, at least they've shortened it and cut out the road sign which had two roads which never meet or destinations which the roads never went to. Also both roads were "5" roads and the filming was on the A22 and A21.
What annoys me most about the advert is the fact a 5 year old Mazda 3 with less than 40k miles is "breaking down" due to what looks like a loose coolant temperature sensor.
I agree - they should have used a less reliable type of car, such as a VW or Audi.
Former President & F99 Driver

Viva la Repubblica!