Junctions where east is west etc.

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

vlad

Re: Junctions where east is west etc.

Post by vlad »

Ambosc79 wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 00:02 Really it ought to be signed A5(N/S) between Montrford Bridge and Halton, and particularly on the Oswestry/Chirk stretch.
Similarly the M6 is often described as "northbound" between the M1 and M5, even though it's far more west than north.
"If you expect nothing from somebody you are never disappointed." - Sylvia Plath
ais523

Post by ais523 »

RichardA626 wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 14:05Also it would be confusing to use the traditional up & down lines for a line that crossed the city centre so it's probably for the best.
At least the "up" and "down" terminology isn't typically customer-facing. It can be pretty hard to remember which is which.

(The road terminology, "A" and "B" directions, has an excellent mnemonic "away" and "back"; I don't know whether that was intentional, but it makes it easy to work out which way you're going if you can remember where the datum is. However, "Xbound" terminology also gets used a lot; it's not like the railways where "up" and "down" are pervasive.)
M4Simon

Post by M4Simon »

I've posted this before, but I've often used the southbound M18 between the A1 and M1 on a journey north, and vice versa.

As others have said, there are crossovers at nearly all motorway to motorway junctions, but the M40/M42 junction is the only one I know of where they've felt the need to put up a 'rabbit's ears' sign to explain.

https://goo.gl/maps/cPjVrQENe6KfStAF9

Simon
Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!

Please contact me if you want to know more
trickstat

Post by trickstat »

vlad wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 20:11
Ambosc79 wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 00:02 Really it ought to be signed A5(N/S) between Montrford Bridge and Halton, and particularly on the Oswestry/Chirk stretch.
Similarly the M6 is often described as "northbound" between the M1 and M5, even though it's far more west than north.
While that is true, I suppose the main issue is that if you follow that route you will reach the 'North' in the same way that the route heading east will take you to the 'South'. You are 'bound for the north' even if you are primarily travelling west. Otherwise you would have to switch signage at the M5 junction from East/West to South/North which in itself would be confusing.
WHBM

Post by WHBM »

ais523 wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 01:27 it's not like the railways where "up" and "down" are pervasive.)
Up and Down, relative to London, predates the railways; it was used by stagecoaches. The book "Tom Brown's Schooldays", written just before the railway era, has extensive descriptions of travel by coach to/from Rugby School, and uses the expressions.
RichardA626

Post by RichardA626 »

WHBM wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 13:00
ais523 wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 01:27 it's not like the railways where "up" and "down" are pervasive.)
Up and Down, relative to London, predates the railways; it was used by stagecoaches. The book "Tom Brown's Schooldays", written just before the railway era, has extensive descriptions of travel by coach to/from Rugby School, and uses the expressions.
OK I didn't know that.
Beware of the trickster on the roof
A320Driver

Post by A320Driver »

trickstat wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 10:39
vlad wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 20:11
While that is true, I suppose the main issue is that if you follow that route you will reach the 'North' in the same way that the route heading east will take you to the 'South'. You are 'bound for the north' even if you are primarily travelling west. Otherwise you would have to switch signage at the M5 junction from East/West to South/North which in itself would be confusing.
The same carriageway of the M25 is signed for all 4 compass points along the route!

Southfields roundabout on the A303 - both A358 exits are on the same side of the junction
Formerly ‘guvvaA303’
FleetlinePhil

Post by FleetlinePhil »

RichardA626 wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 22:22
WHBM wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 13:00
OK I didn't know that.
Nor I, but it makes sense that the railways would adopt it. As rail staff, it was rarely helpful to mention "Up & Down" in dealings with the public, as for most of Great Britain, going "Up" to London seems counter-intuitive if you are used to looking at a map with North at the top. The only stations I worked at where the terms were even used among staff were on the Marple line, where "the Down man" was frequently late coming from Sheffield. It did help in this case that the terms coincided with the gradient of the line so were very easy to remember!
agc2070

Post by agc2070 »

Similar but different, I always found it strange when travel reporters describe the M20 as northbound and southbound. Except between junctions 1 and 2 the main thrust of the route is east / west, although coastbound and London-bound seem clearer terms anyway.
AndyB
Elected Committee Member

Post by AndyB »

Moore_O
Account deactivated at user request

Post by Moore_O »

A303Chris wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 18:25
Brenley Corner wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 12:53 The A249/M2 Stockbury Roundabout is completely back-to-front.

The slip road to the M2 coastbound is on the London side of the roundabout and the Londonbound slip road is on the opposite side. So coming from the North side heading south on the A249 you have to turn left for London and right for Canterbury, Dover etc. - exactly opposite from the way you would think. Confusing for those WITH a sense of direction!!

Tony
I must admit the first time I did that junction coming up from the M20 confused the life out of me , turning left to go right. Still find it weird when I approach.
It's almost worse if you know it - especially if you are used to going in a particular direction (ie commuting between Canterbury and Maidstone - but one day having to get on the London-bound M2).

The absolute worst thing about getting on the M2 coast-bound by mistake is the fact that there's no opportunity to turn around until Faversham - that's a 24 mile round trip.

Last year there was a tweet from someone at Kent Police admitting one of their drivers did this, and joking that meant a doughnut-buying forfeit. I was surprised there were no angry responses, given the jocular, unrepentant tone (I don't know what they were on their way to deal with... hopefully nothing life or death).

And I see there are 'plans' to improve that junction - although it won't solve the contrariwise East/West thing.
AndyB
Elected Committee Member

Post by AndyB »

A typical parclo may also require going the wrong direction to join the motorway.
Gareth Thomas

Post by Gareth Thomas »

agc2070 wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:42 Similar but different, I always found it strange when travel reporters describe the M20 as northbound and southbound. Except between junctions 1 and 2 the main thrust of the route is east / west, although coastbound and London-bound seem clearer terms anyway.
I've only ever heard "London/coastbound", or "west/eastbound", never north or south.

London/coastbound works for the M20, although it is also used for the M2, which runs much more parallel to the North Kent coastline and thus isn't too far from the coast wherever you are! :-P
My journey with testicular cancer!
https://garethishalfnuts.wordpress.com/

"Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads..."
-Dr Emmett Brown
JohnnyMo

Post by JohnnyMo »

Tesco Baldock, The North, I would expect would be down the High St and A507 to Jct 10, not south to Jct 9 as this sign indicates.
“The simple step of a courageous individual is not to take part in the lie" - Aleksandr I. Solzhenitsyn
Johnny Mo
orudge
Site Manager

Post by orudge »

agc2070 wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:42 Similar but different, I always found it strange when travel reporters describe the M20 as northbound and southbound. Except between junctions 1 and 2 the main thrust of the route is east / west, although coastbound and London-bound seem clearer terms anyway.
The local traffic news tends to talk about the "A96 northbound", which is technically true down here, but I always tend to think of it more as A96 Westbound/Eastbound - indeed, once you get to Elgin, the A96 westbound heads south.
trickstat

Post by trickstat »

JohnnyMo wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 19:38 Tesco Baldock, The North, I would expect would be down the High St and A507 to Jct 10, not south to Jct 9 as this sign indicates.
That's a classic example of signage directing traffic out of a town onto a main road to discourage people going through the centre of Baldock which is a much shorter route. I suspect most locals ignore it in the same way that I ignore the signs between Hitchin and Luton that take me via the road to the airport.
owen b

Post by owen b »

trickstat wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 13:03 I ignore the signs between Hitchin and Luton that take me via the road to the airport.
That is a bit of a classic misdirection and has been there at least as long as I've been in Luton ie. 30 years. Aiming for Luton town centre from Hitchin A505, just keep going straight on, don't turn left on the A505 towards the airport.

Until they completed the Luton inner ring there used to be an even more circuitous misdirection. Coming into Luton on the A6 from the north, arriving at the inner ring (Telford Way), traffic for Hitchin was directed onto the inner ring south west and was directed around more than three quarters of Luton town centre. Anyone in the know would have followed Guildford Street or Midland Road or found back streets through High Town and then turned left up Hitchin Road.
Owen