M11 Junc 8

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

millionmiledriver

M11 Junc 8

Post by millionmiledriver »

I use this almost every day and there have been roadworks since the start of the year .Apart from coning off lanes and the odd hole on the verge and bits of equipment parked I really cannot see what they are doing .They say its a junction improvement but it seems even more chaos for nothing .Can anyone shed light on this ?
jackal

Re: M11 Junc 8

Post by jackal »

millionmiledriver

Thank you Jackal makes a lot more sense now ! Hindsight is a wonderful thing but building a service area here was not the best place quite often queues going into it block the roundabout like so many service areas its not brilliantly designed
jackal

Post by jackal »

You're welcome!

They should really provide freeflow for M11 north to/from A120 east. The services would not be such a problem if traffic going between the airport and Cambridge didn't have to use that part of the roundabout.
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

jackal wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 09:15 You're welcome!

They should really provide freeflow for M11 north to/from A120 east. The services would not be such a problem if traffic going between the airport and Cambridge didn't have to use that part of the roundabout.
This won't please the NH "where will we slot in the Amazon depot" mentality but here you go. The local slips are optional given all the other ancillary airport stuff around that point.
Attachments
M11 J8.jpg
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
A303Chris

Post by A303Chris »

I never understand replacing roundabouts with traffic signals as is the case with the A120 / A1250 junction, as they always seem to make congestion worse.
The M25 - The road to nowhere
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

A303Chris wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 11:45 I never understand replacing roundabouts with traffic signals as is the case with the A120 / A1250 junction, as they always seem to make congestion worse.
The aim is to provide for future development which requires active travel provision as evidenced by the toucans across the middle. The alternative was to provide signalised entries on the roundabout for these crossings presumably, which takes us into the hamburger thread and why it's better to replace roundabouts with proper signal junctions instead of crash prone signalised roundabout hybrids.
Bryn

millionmiledriver

Wren kitchens have applied having been turned down for a distribution depot on that self same roundabout .They have been turned down already it is anticipated 600 extra truck movements a day should they get this !
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

I'm sure the vast numbers of new houses in and around the junction are also helping.... but yes, the act of building a motorway service area at the same junction they'd just given permission for a massive international airport to be built at defies logic
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps
KeithW

Post by KeithW »

c2R wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 15:01 I'm sure the vast numbers of new houses in and around the junction are also helping.... but yes, the act of building a motorway service area at the same junction they'd just given permission for a massive international airport to be built at defies logic
Birchanger Green services opened in 1995 so its a bit late to worry about than now :) As I recall before it opened the only option was the Esso Garage on what was then the A120 now B1256. Given that its the only services on the M11 its was rather welcomed at the time.
Peter Freeman

Post by Peter Freeman »

Another motorway junction that began, presumably, pre-airport expansion, as just-about OK; grew, in stages, each one in penny-pinching mode, to be silly; and now its capacity is being half-heartedly increased again by laying a few small strips of asphalt and eliminating one roundabout. If this isn't in Chris's 'Bad Junctions' list, it certainly should be. And even more so if Bryn's red extra slips got added in.

Rip it all up except for the bridges and M11 mainline, and start over, with a rational design. There's lots of space.
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

Peter Freeman wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 16:09 Another motorway junction that began, presumably, pre-airport expansion, as just-about OK; grew, in stages, each one in penny-pinching mode, to be silly; and now its capacity is being half-heartedly increased again by laying a few small strips of asphalt and eliminating one roundabout. If this isn't in Chris's 'Bad Junctions' list, it certainly should be. And even more so if Bryn's red extra slips got added in.

Rip it all up except for the bridges and M11 mainline, and start over, with a rational design. There's lots of space.
What, making the M11-A120 movements a full directional-T is now a bad junction??? :confused: :confused: :confused:

My suggestion does exactly what any good junction design does - splits out the local movements from the strategic ones.
Bryn

Peter Freeman

Post by Peter Freeman »

Bryn666 wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 17:01
Peter Freeman wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 16:09 Another motorway junction that began, presumably, pre-airport expansion, as just-about OK; grew, in stages, each one in penny-pinching mode, to be silly; and now its capacity is being half-heartedly increased again by laying a few small strips of asphalt and eliminating one roundabout. If this isn't in Chris's 'Bad Junctions' list, it certainly should be. And even more so if Bryn's red extra slips got added in.

What, making the M11-A120 movements a full directional-T is now a bad junction??? :confused: :confused: :confused:
I didn't mean to simply dismiss your suggestion Bryn. A full directional-T between A120 and M11 would be a good basis as the core of this complex meeting of roads. But if you look at the totality of your sketch, it's all the other pre-existing bits-n-pieces that consign it to the B.J. List.

These joke-junctions arise by a series of 'accidents' - thought-bubble add-ons that fail to have an end-game vision. This might sound like, and is, 'the wisdom of hindsight', but more vision really is required. The same incremental process produced other tragedies: M1 J23/24, M1 J13, Switch Island, etc.

Your final design provides three different ways that (for example) Round Coppice Road traffic could reach M11 north. In fact, there are multiple paths that many of the minor and major movements could take (some passing through up to 3 roundabouts). Even with a commendable directional-T at its core, you wouldn't actually design an overall mess like this. Also, any junction that includes one of these weird roundabouts with an extra loop sticking out of its end (here and, for example, M40 J4) is preposterous.

I know it's a dilemma - we haven't invented reliable crystal balls yet. I suppose the designer of M11's original J8 would have been surprised to hear that one day his junction would serve Britain's 3rd international airport. But all serious motorway plans should have future contingencies in mind, and in their designs.
Bryn666 wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 17:01 My suggestion does exactly what any good junction design does - splits out the local movements from the strategic ones.
A subsidiary point, but I take issue with this ^ statement, especially the word 'any'. My draft: "What every good junction design does is provide adequate, safe and efficient flow paths for all required movements, both local and strategic". 'Splitting the local movements out', if that's what happens, should be a by-product, not an objective. Put another way, it will sometimes be the means to the end, but not actually the end itself.
Last edited by Peter Freeman on Tue May 24, 2022 02:09, edited 1 time in total.
skiddaw05

Post by skiddaw05 »

KeithW wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 15:29 Birchanger Green services opened in 1995 so its a bit late to worry about than now :) As I recall before it opened the only option was the Esso Garage on what was then the A120 now B1256. Given that its the only services on the M11 its was rather welcomed at the time.
I still remember when there were 'No services on motorway' signs as you joined the M11
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

Peter Freeman wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 01:33
Bryn666 wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 17:01

I didn't mean to simply dismiss your suggestion Bryn. A full directional-T between A120 and M11 would be a good basis as the core of this complex meeting of roads. But if you look at the totality of your sketch, it's all the other pre-existing bits-n-pieces that consign it to the B.J. List.

These joke-junctions arise by a series of 'accidents' - thought-bubble add-ons that fail to have an end-game vision. This might sound like, and is, 'the wisdom of hindsight', but more vision really is required. The same incremental process produced other tragedies: M1 J23/24, M1 J13, Switch Island, etc.

Your final design provides three different ways that (for example) Round Coppice Road traffic could reach M11 north. In fact, there are multiple paths that many of the minor and major movements could take (some passing through up to 3 roundabouts). Even with a commendable directional-T at its core, you wouldn't actually design an overall mess like this. Also, any junction that includes one of these weird roundabouts with an extra loop sticking out of its end (here and, for example, M40 J4) is preposterous.

I know it's a dilemma - we haven't invented reliable crystal balls yet. I suppose the designer of M11's original J8 would have been surprised to hear that one day his junction would serve Britain's 3rd international airport. But all serious motorway plans should have future contingencies in mind, and in their designs.
Bryn666 wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 17:01 My suggestion does exactly what any good junction design does - splits out the local movements from the strategic ones.
A subsidiary point, but I take issue with this statement. Especially the word 'any'. My draft: "What every good junction design does is provide adequate, safe and efficient flow paths for all required movements, both local and strategic". 'Splitting the local movements out', if that's what happens, should be a by-product, not an objective.
There would only be two ways that traffic from Round Coppice Road could reach the M11 north - either via the existing J8 or the direct slips shown running north of the directional-T. There simply isn't the space to put movements into the directional-T without considerable structural content and masses of expense that could be achieved without that effort.

If you go back in time on Google Earth you can see that in 1999 M11 J8 was already laid out for the direct slips - the old airport approach road was absorbed into the A120 expressway as part of it. The expectation was always local traffic would have to muddle through the roundabouts.
Bryn

Peter Freeman

Post by Peter Freeman »

^ Sorry - yes, only two ways. But, with respect, the resultant layout is nevertheless a mess. If your two connectors that form the directional-T were added, then the remainder could surely be 'cleaned up'. And it could (not necessarliy should) be done without any roundabouts. I won't try to design it, since you or Jackal or Truvelo could do a better job; and the design would be a waste of time because, with the major movements taken care of, justification of extra cost would be impossible.

A final remark: the current plan will be implemented, and it will help, as these incremental 'tinkers' always do. I have just one wish for a change to the current plan: the western roundabout replacement could be a straight-across signalised crossroads, rather than the staggered version. More efficient, fewer stops.
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

Peter Freeman wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 15:12 ^ Sorry - yes, only two ways. But, with respect, the resultant layout is nevertheless a mess. If your two connectors that form the directional-T were added, then the remainder could surely be 'cleaned up'. And it could (not necessarliy should) be done without any roundabouts. I won't try to design it, since you or Jackal or Truvelo could do a better job; and the design would be a waste of time because, with the major movements taken care of, justification of extra cost would be impossible.

A final remark: the current plan will be implemented, and it will help, as these incremental 'tinkers' always do. I have just one wish for a change to the current plan: the western roundabout replacement could be a straight-across signalised crossroads, rather than the staggered version. More efficient, fewer stops.
I agree - I was just throwing a quick and dirty plan out. I'd quite like to look at it in more detail and see how it could be rationalised.

Also agree about the crossroads - a stagger is just adding in delay but I suspect that NMU route has dictated the design somewhat as well as existing land take and avoiding expensive land purchase which for highways is apparently verboten but perfectly OK for an Amazon shed.
Bryn

Peter Freeman

Post by Peter Freeman »

Bryn666 wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 15:14 Also agree about the crossroads - a stagger is just adding in delay but I suspect that NMU route has dictated the design somewhat as well as existing land take and avoiding expensive land purchase which for highways is apparently verboten but perfectly OK for an Amazon shed.
No land purchase required: it would definitely fit in the space released by the roundabout. The northern arm only, which is very minor and not wide, simply needs moving westwards to oppose the southern arm.

NMU route - yes, to equate to the current proposal, two crossings instead of one would need to be negotiated. Not really an onerous requirement.

I would also introduce a little more lane flare (and design flair!) at the stop lines.
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

Peter Freeman wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 16:10
Bryn666 wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 15:14 Also agree about the crossroads - a stagger is just adding in delay but I suspect that NMU route has dictated the design somewhat as well as existing land take and avoiding expensive land purchase which for highways is apparently verboten but perfectly OK for an Amazon shed.
No land purchase required: it would definitely fit in the space released by the roundabout. The northern arm only, which is very minor and not wide, simply needs moving westwards to oppose the southern arm.

NMU route - yes, to equate to the current proposal, two crossings instead of one would need to be negotiated. Not really an onerous requirement.

I would also introduce a little more lane flare (and design flair!) at the stop lines.
https://goo.gl/maps/PatzAkv3rQNEX2Pt6 I just randomly picked a junction from Sydney here and was impressed to see there was a single stage pedestrian movement. Presumably it only runs when the button is pressed but this would be contorted into a horrible staggered arrangement here which would deter pedestrian use due to the lack of direct routes.

It also takes up far less space than a roundabout would here - you'd need a large circulatory for the volumes.
Bryn