Botched Roadsigns

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

the cheesecake man

Re: Botched Roadsigns

Post by the cheesecake man »

traffic-light-man wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:37 I'd suggest that's some Network Rail backside covering, or the wig wag installation pre-dates the banned turn. However, what is this mess? :shock:
"Barnes Primary School"? :confused:

Meanwhile I encountered three temporary signs approaching the tip. Two tell me to beware of traffic queuing to enter the site then the third prohibits queueing to enter the site. :confused:
traffic-light-man

Post by traffic-light-man »

the cheesecake man wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:55
traffic-light-man wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:37 I'd suggest that's some Network Rail backside covering, or the wig wag installation pre-dates the banned turn. However, what is this mess? :shock:
"Barnes Primary School"? :confused:
I was referring to the paint job on the LC, but I realise I hadn't made that clear, sorry!
Simon
SteelCamel

Post by SteelCamel »

traffic-light-man wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:37 I'd suggest that's some Network Rail backside covering, or the wig wag installation pre-dates the banned turn.
No, I think there is some logic to it. Emergency vehicles can disregard "no left turn" restrictions when appropriate to do so, but cannot pass an operating wig-wag under any circumstances. So the wig-wag is for any police cars, ambulances or fire engines that may be coming out of this turn while the crossing is closed.
traffic-light-man

Post by traffic-light-man »

SteelCamel wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 23:15
traffic-light-man wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:37 I'd suggest that's some Network Rail backside covering, or the wig wag installation pre-dates the banned turn.
No, I think there is some logic to it. Emergency vehicles can disregard "no left turn" restrictions when appropriate to do so, but cannot pass an operating wig-wag under any circumstances. So the wig-wag is for any police cars, ambulances or fire engines that may be coming out of this turn while the crossing is closed.
Perhaps, but that Unipart Dorman (LED) wig wag predates the banned turn suggesting the last crossing upgrade was before the banned turn was installed.
Simon
scrogghill

Post by scrogghill »

This area’s a real hot spot for inexplicable railway signage...

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.46778 ... 384!8i8192
Dougman

Post by Dougman »

scrogghill wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 02:35 This area’s a real hot spot for inexplicable railway signage...

Turn 180 degrees for another road sign that's out of place!
lose: (v): to suffer the deprivation of - to lose one's job; to lose one's life.

loose: (a): free or released from fastening or attachment - a loose end.
Big L
Deputy Site Manager

Post by Big L »

I don't like this.
Or this.

Are either right?
Make poetry history.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Help with maps using the new online calibrator.
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki.
vlad

Post by vlad »

scrogghill wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 02:35 This area’s a real hot spot for inexplicable railway signage...

That is inexplicable. What's a sign in Eastern Region blue doing in SW London? :)
"If you expect nothing from somebody you are never disappointed." - Sylvia Plath
Bfivethousand

Post by Bfivethousand »

Big L wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 19:32 I don't like this.
Or this.

Are either right?
No and no (unless of course DfT authorisation has been attained).

That butchered double bend sign is misleading too, there are two left turn junctions ahead and I would imagine the designer's intention was actually to emphasise the more concealed second junction to drivers. It doesn't work for me.
16 Sodium atoms walk into a bar
followed immediately by Batman
Dougman

Post by Dougman »

What's the speed limit on this circle*? If I approach from the west it's 40, but if I approach from the east it's 30!

*Roundabout for those outside Dundee :)
lose: (v): to suffer the deprivation of - to lose one's job; to lose one's life.

loose: (a): free or released from fastening or attachment - a loose end.
jervi

Post by jervi »

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.14241 ... 312!8i6656
Not sure how enforceable these restrictions are.

I suppose the no cycle sign, along with the "no vehicles" is meant for the high street. Ideally should be replaced with a pedestrian area sign with no vehicle roundel.

This area also has loads of other issues like
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.14234 ... 312!8i6656 - keep left/right when should just have a blank plate. Also the junction doesn't have a mandatory left turn onto the dual carriageway

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.14220 ... 312!8i6656
This Right turn isn't a right turn for the roundabout.
SteelCamel

Post by SteelCamel »

OK, so what's "no buses except buses" supposed to mean? It seems to only prohibit buses which aren't buses - which don't exist. The only thing I can thing is that it was supposed to be "except local buses" - i.e. no coaches but bus services are allowed. The left-hand sign has no plate, so all buses are banned - even though there's a bus stop just past the sign. Even more bizarrely, the plate was added (in about 2015?) - before that it was an unqualified "no buses", which numerous buses can been seen ignoring on streetview.
the cheesecake man

Is this a warning or a prohibition? 10/10 for pretty artwork by small children :thumbsup: but minus several million for council officials who should know when to use circular or triangular signs. :ipunch:
vlad

Post by vlad »

What does that sign mean? "It is prohibited to cross the central white line to overtake stationary vehicles"?
"If you expect nothing from somebody you are never disappointed." - Sylvia Plath
Bfivethousand

Post by Bfivethousand »

At first glance I actually thought the circular section was transparent and that I was looking at a house window!
16 Sodium atoms walk into a bar
followed immediately by Batman
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

SteelCamel wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 18:47 OK, so what's "no buses except buses" supposed to mean? It seems to only prohibit buses which aren't buses - which don't exist. The only thing I can thing is that it was supposed to be "except local buses" - i.e. no coaches but bus services are allowed. The left-hand sign has no plate, so all buses are banned - even though there's a bus stop just past the sign. Even more bizarrely, the plate was added (in about 2015?) - before that it was an unqualified "no buses", which numerous buses can been seen ignoring on streetview.
I asked the same question when I was on holiday there a few years ago. No buses except buses, erm... were they using the pre 1996 definition of a bus (different number of seats) which would make sense for the sign to lack an exemption plate.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
the cheesecake man

Bfivethousand wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 22:27 At first glance I actually thought the circular section was transparent and that I was looking at a house window!
A round window rather than an arch window or a square window! :lol:
SteelCamel wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 18:47 OK, so what's "no buses except buses" supposed to mean? It seems to only prohibit buses which aren't buses - which don't exist. The only thing I can thing is that it was supposed to be "except local buses" - i.e. no coaches but bus services are allowed. The left-hand sign has no plate, so all buses are banned - even though there's a bus stop just past the sign. Even more bizarrely, the plate was added (in about 2015?) - before that it was an unqualified "no buses", which numerous buses can been seen ignoring on streetview.
Scheduled bus services fine but don't go filling up our high street with tourist coaches would make perfect sense in a seaside resort but it could be much clearer eg "No coaches" or No buses sign "except local buses".
Rambo

Post by Rambo »

An strangely wide old ish sign that really shouldn't be blue bordered. As you can see the local one is just behind. There are a few of these in this area with regional destinations as apposed to local..
Attachments
a57_lingleygreenave_6.JPG
the cheesecake man

This way to WIGHTORPE? Why the capitals? :? Or this way.
Al__S

Post by Al__S »