What countries have bi, tri (or even more?!) lingual signs?

Going on holiday? Just returned with pictures or news? Found an interesting website? Post everything international in here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

scott125

Re: What countries have bi, tri (or even more?!) lingual sig

Post by scott125 »

exiled wrote:
scott125 wrote:I remember a sign at a services near London that had French , Spanish etc but also it had albanian . Never met any albanians here
Clacket Lane? English, German, French and Czech.

Quite why Czech rather than Polish I don't know.
Was a sign like that but in the services ,not yellow ,services near to Stansted Airport . Need to look for it on Streetview .
Osthagen

Re: What countries have bi, tri (or even more?!) lingual signs?

Post by Osthagen »

Finland has signs in Swedish.
"I see the face of a child. He lives in a great city. He is black. Or he is white. He is Mexican, Italian, Polish. None of that matters. What matters, he's an American child"
- Richard Nixon
JohnnyMo

Post by JohnnyMo »

exiled wrote:
scott125 wrote:I remember a sign at a services near London that had French , Spanish etc but also it had albanian . Never met any albanians here
Clacket Lane? English, German, French and Czech.

Quite why Czech rather than Polish I don't know.
What is the point of that sign, a clearway on a motorway. Also any European driver should know the rules of a motorway.
“The simple step of a courageous individual is not to take part in the lie" - Aleksandr I. Solzhenitsyn
Johnny Mo
KeithW

Post by KeithW »

Singapore has signs in English, Chinese, Malay and Hindi where Space permits. Top of the list and in the biggest font is the English version

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@1.329274 ... authuser=0

On smaller signs they usually settle for English and Chinese
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@1.282955 ... authuser=0

The default is English
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@1.281480 ... authuser=0
Chris Bertram

Post by Chris Bertram »

KeithW wrote:Singapore has signs in English, Chinese, Malay and Hindi where Space permits. Top of the list and in the biggest font is the English version

Is the bottom font on there really Hindi? It looks more like Thai to me.
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
Glen
Social Media Admin

Post by Glen »

JohnnyMo wrote:What is the point of that sign, a clearway on a motorway. Also any European driver should know the rules of a motorway.
It's a reminder not to park on the hard shoulder of the sliproad.
RichardA626

Post by RichardA626 »

Chris Bertram wrote:
KeithW wrote:Singapore has signs in English, Chinese, Malay and Hindi where Space permits. Top of the list and in the biggest font is the English version

Is the bottom font on there really Hindi? It looks more like Thai to me.
Is it Tamil, which is one of the official languages of Singapore?
Beware of the trickster on the roof
WHBM

Post by WHBM »

RichardA626 wrote: Is it Tamil, which is one of the official languages of Singapore?
Most of the (substantial) Indian ethnic population in both Singapore and Malaysia are from Chennai/Madras etc, the Tamil Nadu speaking part of India which is nearest to them. Hindi speaking is from other parts of India.

India itself has a wide range of its language combinations on signs, including in English which is regarded as the common interchange language between different areas. There is also extensive use of pictograms due to illiteracy.
WHBM

Post by WHBM »

Glen wrote:
JohnnyMo wrote:What is the point of that sign, a clearway on a motorway. Also any European driver should know the rules of a motorway.
Due to extensive hard shoulder abuse by parked European HGV drivers just outside the service area boundary (or its cameras) staying more than 2 hours, who do not want to pay service area parking charges.
Conekicker

Post by Conekicker »

WHBM wrote:
Glen wrote:
Due to extensive hard shoulder abuse by parked European HGV drivers just outside the service area boundary (or its cameras) staying more than 2 hours, who do not want to pay service area parking charges.
So why aren't the local boys in blue out there giving the drivers the good news? Word would soon spread.

I'll refrain from asking if whoever erected the sign even considered getting it authorised - a black on yellow sign is not an excuse to erect such a beastie and DfT won't authorise such things.
Patience is not a virtue - it's a concept invented by the dozy beggars who are unable to think quickly enough.
Chris Bertram

Post by Chris Bertram »

WHBM wrote:
RichardA626 wrote: Is it Tamil, which is one of the official languages of Singapore?
Most of the (substantial) Indian ethnic population in both Singapore and Malaysia are from Chennai/Madras etc, the Tamil Nadu speaking part of India which is nearest to them. Hindi speaking is from other parts of India.

India itself has a wide range of its language combinations on signs, including in English which is regarded as the common interchange language between different areas. There is also extensive use of pictograms due to illiteracy.
Yes, perhaps Tamil is more likely than Thai.

My relatively limited experience of India suggests that signage is generally local language + English, with possibly Hindi added if space allows. So in Mumbai, it's Marathi (in its Devanagari script) + English, whereas in Bangalore it's Kannada (a very different-looking language, the script reminded me somewhat of Georgian) + English.
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

Conekicker wrote:
WHBM wrote:
Glen wrote: It's a reminder not to park on the hard shoulder of the sliproad.
So why aren't the local boys in blue out there giving the drivers the good news? Word would soon spread.

I'll refrain from asking if whoever erected the sign even considered getting it authorised - a black on yellow sign is not an excuse to erect such a beastie and DfT won't authorise such things.
It's dynamic, and thrusting, and solves all problems because #signmakeitbetter...
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
Conekicker

Post by Conekicker »

Bryn666 wrote:
Conekicker wrote:
WHBM wrote: Due to extensive hard shoulder abuse by parked European HGV drivers just outside the service area boundary (or its cameras) staying more than 2 hours, who do not want to pay service area parking charges.

It's dynamic, and thrusting, and solves all problems because #signmakeitbetter...
...also an unlawful obstruction...
Patience is not a virtue - it's a concept invented by the dozy beggars who are unable to think quickly enough.
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

Conekicker wrote:
Bryn666 wrote:
Conekicker wrote:So why aren't the local boys in blue out there giving the drivers the good news? Word would soon spread.

Nah, I reckon back when the HA could authorise such junk it was pushed through as 'safety essential'... but yes, it's utter rubbish given the start of motorway sign 3 yards before it tells you the same thing.
Bryn

Conekicker

Post by Conekicker »

Bryn666 wrote:
Conekicker wrote:
Bryn666 wrote:
Nah, I reckon back when the HA could authorise such junk it was pushed through as 'safety essential'... but yes, it's utter rubbish given the start of motorway sign 3 yards before it tells you the same thing.
Trust me, the HA guys would never authorise anything bi-lingual. They are very aware of DfT's position on that subject.

This will simply be a "good" idea that someone locally dreamt up and didn't run it past the appropriate people before doing so. Had they done so they would have been told "No" in no uncertain terms.
Glen
Social Media Admin

Post by Glen »

WHBM wrote:Due to extensive hard shoulder abuse by parked European HGV drivers just outside the service area boundary (or its cameras) staying more than 2 hours, who do not want to pay service area parking charges.
It's more that there is a chronic lack of HGV parking, so drivers regularly can't find a space in the MSAs, even for a 45 minute driving break.
Camera enforced charges from the likes of CP Plus aren't going to concern the drivers of foreign registered vehicles.
WHBM

Post by WHBM »

You will notice in the Google view that not only is there the warning notice, but the hard shoulder has been physically barriered with concrete blocks.

I can recall some years ago the chain of parked European HGVs would stretch right out onto the hard shoulder of the main carriageway. Eastbound was always more affected than westbound.
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

Conekicker wrote:
Bryn666 wrote:
Conekicker wrote:...also an unlawful obstruction...
Trust me, the HA guys would never authorise anything bi-lingual. They are very aware of DfT's position on that subject.

This will simply be a "good" idea that someone locally dreamt up and didn't run it past the appropriate people before doing so. Had they done so they would have been told "No" in no uncertain terms.
Better not send anyone down the A2 then given multi lingual signs are all over it...

As ever it seems there are always these unquestionable rules until it's inconvenient to have them then they're quietly ignored for that particular issue.

Then someone like me comes along and points out the inconsistencies... ;-)
Bryn

Conekicker

Post by Conekicker »

Bryn666 wrote:
Conekicker wrote:
Bryn666 wrote:

Better not send anyone down the A2 then given multi lingual signs are all over it...

As ever it seems there are always these unquestionable rules until it's inconvenient to have them then they're quietly ignored for that particular issue.

Then someone like me comes along and points out the inconsistencies... ;-)
There were those who authorised the signs at the national level and those at the local level in the area teams who supposedly kept things lawful and didn't let such stuff be installed. If the local HA guys didn't talk to the national ones, would it be any surprise that things weren't then and aren't now as they should be? It wouldn't surprise me if the national guys pointing out the error of the local guys ways was met with a loud silence either. Pointing out others errors is not often welcomed.

But what do I know...
Viator

Post by Viator »

Osthagen wrote:Finland has signs in Swedish.
Also in the various Sami languages and Norwegian in the north of the country. It limits the number of languages on any one sign to two, however.
Here, the top sign on the right is in Finnish and Norwegian; the others are in Finnish and Inari Sami.

Norway has a similar policy in the north of the country. Here, a sign with bilingual indications in Northern Sami plus Norwegian, Finnish plus Inari Sami: Image