Snow Chains?

Going on holiday? Just returned with pictures or news? Found an interesting website? Post everything international in here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Chris56000

Snow Chains?

Post by Chris56000 »

Will I need to get snow chains before we set off for France & Italy on 17th September?

The routes we propose to use :–

(a) Besançon – Italy via N83/D1083/Bourg En Bresse/D1075/Grenoble/D1075/D994/D900B/D900/Barcelonette/D900/SS21 into Coni/Cuneo, Italy, 22nd September, staying one week in Palais 56036 Italy.

Return Wed 28th from Italy along A6/A55/A62/SS25/D1006/Col Mont Cenins/D1006 via Mondane, Montmélian/Chambery/Le Pont–de–Beauvoisin/D1006/Les Abret and then D1006/D145 to our accomodation in St Andre–Le–Gaz.

We start the return home from St Andre–Le–Gaz back north towards Metz on the 30th Sept via D1083/N83/Besancon/N57/A31.

Can any Member tell me (roughly!) at what point we'll be above 3000'/915 m generally and is it compulsory to have snow chains in the car, or are we travelling out and back before the dates the local snow chain/M + S tyre regulations are enforced by the local Gendarmerie in the Departments concerned?

(I'm aware of the elevation of Gap above Sea Level, av. 2450 ft, by the way, higher than any permanent inhabited town in the UK!)

Sorry for the long post, by the way!

Chris Williams
RichardA35
Elected Committee Member

Re: Snow Chains?

Post by RichardA35 »

Coming over Montgenevre recently, the Italian side has signage with a date of obligatory chains (carrying rather than fitted I think) of 15 Nov - 15 April. I would think you'll be OK so early in the autumn. I've certainly needed them and used them at Christmas/New Year holidays but not at Easter.
https://goo.gl/maps/qpaRVkCA5bHcigZe8
FosseWay
Assistant Site Manager

Post by FosseWay »

I've been over some of the high passes in September and haven't encountered any snow on the roads - but I've not done it sufficiently often to know how normal that is. On the other hand, none of the information given out by the AA, ferry companies etc. has ever mentioned snow equipment for travelling during the summer/autumn season.
RichardA35 wrote:Coming over Montgenevre recently, the Italian side has signage with a date of obligatory chains (carrying rather than fitted I think) of 15 Nov - 15 April
That is similar to the period when winter tyres are obligatory in Scandinavia (1/12-31/3). And yes, it will be obligatory to *have* chains at all times during those times, but only obligatory to *use* them when conditions require it. This is the big advantage of chains over studded tyres - you can take them on and off at will. On the other hand, if you've got summer tyres on under the chains, you are still at risk from the effects of using summer tyres in low temperatures or on black ice.
Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
Alderpoint

Post by Alderpoint »

Chris56000 wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 21:50 Will I need to get snow chains before we set off for France & Italy on 17th September?
No. We travel around the Alps in late October many years, and conditions have never required chains that time of year.

On the very unlikely chance winter does arrive early, then you should be able to call into any local supermarket/car bits shop and pick up some far cheaper than they'll cost you in the UK.
Let it snow.
rhyds

Post by rhyds »

Alderpoint wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 11:48
Chris56000 wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 21:50 Will I need to get snow chains before we set off for France & Italy on 17th September?
No. We travel around the Alps in late October many years, and conditions have never required chains that time of year.

On the very unlikely chance winter does arrive early, then you should be able to call into any local supermarket/car bits shop and pick up some far cheaper than they'll cost you in the UK.
Quick note: if you do need to buy chains note the tyre size of your car down before going in, it'll be on the side of the tyre and will be in the format of something like

205/55/16

Armed with that you should get a set that can fit.
Built for comfort, not speed.
Vierwielen

Post by Vierwielen »

You will be crossing from France into Italy via the Colle della Maddalena. According to Google maps, the pass itself is at 2008 metres and there is a webcam at the top of a zig-zag (1871 metres). The webcam can be viewed at here. When I viewed it a few minutes ago, there was no sign of snow anywhere. I therefore deduce that at the moment snow chains are not needed.

You can of course resort to Plan B - use one of the tunnels. I used the Frejus Tunnel in early December 2001. There was a lot of snow around, but both the autostrade and the autoroute were clear of snow. The current cost for the Frujus Tunnel is €31.70 one way) or €39.80 (return within 7 days).
Chris56000

Post by Chris56000 »

The current cost for the Frujus Tunnel is €31.70 one way) or €39.80 (return within 7 days).
Alas that's only for motorcycles, not cars – cars are 48 Euros!

Chris