Whittier Road/Rail Tunnel

Going on holiday? Just returned with pictures or news? Found an interesting website? Post everything international in here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Big Nick

Whittier Road/Rail Tunnel

Post by Big Nick »

I've heard of bridges that carry road and rail on the same bed, we've seen roads with rails in (for trams). But this is the first tunnel I've seen that was intentionally built for road and rail in the same space.

The Anton Anderson Memorial tunnel is 2.5 miles long, was built in 1942 for the railroad and upgraded to allow road vehicles through in 2000. Before that all vehicles came in by ferry.
Because it's so narrow it operates a one-way rota with parking for up 450 cars at each end. Wait times can be anything up to an hour while oncoming traffic and trains pass through. The tunnel closes overnight.

Portage Glacier Road, Whittier, Alaska. https://www.google.com/maps/@60.7771999 ... 384!8i8192
ravenbluemoon
Elected Committee Member

Re: Whittier Road/Rail Tunnel

Post by ravenbluemoon »

That's an interesting place. Almost all of the inhabitants of the town live in one apartment building, which also contains the shops and amenities for the community.
Tony Alice (they,them)
~~~~~
Owner of a classic rust heap/money pit, and other unremarkable older vehicles.
Usually found with a head in an old map or road atlas.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Ask me if you want to get involved!

Alderpoint

Post by Alderpoint »

The Tunnel de Montroc/Montets at the top end of the Chamonix Valley in France is a shared tunnel, with the (single track) railway and the (single lane) road now sharing the same space, although they were originally side-by side until the road was widened about 10 years ago.

It is only open for vehicle traffic when the Col de Montets over the top is closed due to snow.
Let it snow.
traffic-light-man

Post by traffic-light-man »

Alderpoint wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 13:21 The Tunnel de Montroc/Montets at the top end of the Chamonix Valley in France is a shared tunnel, with the (single track) railway and the (single lane) road now sharing the same space, although they were originally side-by side until the road was widened about 10 years ago.

It is only open for vehicle traffic when the Col de Montets over the top is closed due to snow.
Is that a third rail running beside where the vehicles go? :shock: That's got to be unique!
Simon
KeithW

Post by KeithW »

ravenbluemoon wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 12:38 That's an interesting place. Almost all of the inhabitants of the town live in one apartment building, which also contains the shops and amenities for the community.
It was built by the US Amy in WW2 as a barracks for the military harbour in WW2, it actually makes a lot of sense, everything is accessible without having to venture out into Arctic weather in winter where they get an average of 22ft of snowfall. Its all there under 1 roof, school, store, church and laundromat as well as bed and breakfast accomodation for visitors.

There is a second building but it has been abandoned.

When I went to Alaska I stayed in Valdez where you can catch a ferry to Whittier saving you a 360 mile drive on roads that are often impassable in winter. The harbour is ice free and very large ships can and do dock there.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@61.12475 ... 6656?hl=en

Driving around there has its hazards including a glacier and the wildlife.
Attachments
s IMG_0031.jpg