Sign Colours

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

tom66

Re: Sign Colours

Post by tom66 »

JohnnyMo wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 14:48 Stevenage used to have each district a different colour, this was on the street names in that district :
Old Town - Grey, Bedwell - Blue, Pin Green - Green, Shepell - Red, Chells - Yellow, Broadwater - Brown etc. It was also on the direction signs at many roundabouts as a little coloured squares.

Edit : If this sign had not faded beyond being useful it may have set the record
That's interesting. Found this eight-colour job in Stevenage, nine if you count the grey backing board:
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.89843 ... 312!8i6656

Such interesting ideas they had with the new towns. A different time.
FleetlinePhil

Re: Sign Colours

Post by FleetlinePhil »

SteelCamel wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 17:25 Ok, thanks for the updates. So it seems that both orange and grey are real challenges. I guess it's not invalid to put the "P + SOS phone" sign on a direction sign, but it would seem highly unlikely. If we can have ULEZ rather then emergency services for the lighter green that probably helps.
If it's orange you are looking for, Calderdale uses it for Halifax's "Theatre Quarter" as well as rose pink, sky blue and (mushy) pea green for the other quarters. TH is Town Hall, if I ever knew what G is I've long forgotten, and PH is the Piece Hall - no, don't ask why the Piece Hall itself is signed in a different direction than its eponymous quarter, I've no idea. Fortunately I already know where I'm going (and I'm on foot 99% of the time anyway) so I don't have to take any notice of these, but they are certainly colourful!