“Out of City” On Roadsign

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

FtoE

“Out of City” On Roadsign

Post by FtoE »

Spending a few days in Portsmouth and have seen this included on a couple of road signs (the opposite of the much more common and ubiquitous “city centre” I suppose). I’ve never seen this anywhere else - including other ferry ports - and I think it’s quite useful, especially if directing those unfamiliar with a place to an outer-city bypass.
skiddaw05

Re: “Out of City” On Roadsign

Post by skiddaw05 »

I remember seeing these as well and at first thought it was referring to something like an out of town retail complex until I realised it was just exactly what it was saying
With most towns and cities you can go in a number of different directions to get out, but Portsmouth is fairly unusual in that you can only really head north to do so
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

It’s unique to Portsmouth, but quite ubiquitous across the city. It saves a lot of space on signs and keeps things very simple, given that it really doesn’t matter which route you take to get out. It will just direct you to the nearest road back to the mainland.

What I’m not sure about is whether it was ever authorised. Presumably Portsmouth CC has a city-wide special authorisation going back decades?
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

I like the French 'all directions' and 'other directions' signs for this reason
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps
Paul7755

Post by Paul7755 »

Chris5156 wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 12:49 It’s unique to Portsmouth, but quite ubiquitous across the city. It saves a lot of space on signs and keeps things very simple, given that it really doesn’t matter which route you take to get out. It will just direct you to the nearest road back to the mainland.

What I’m not sure about is whether it was ever authorised. Presumably Portsmouth CC has a city-wide special authorisation going back decades?
Is it also the case that very few (if any) signs show road numbers on Portsea Island?
DavidB

Post by DavidB »

Here's an 'Out of Town' sign in Teignmouth:

https://goo.gl/maps/iA8T8L8r6ucirZqe6
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

Chris5156 wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 12:49 It’s unique to Portsmouth, but quite ubiquitous across the city. It saves a lot of space on signs and keeps things very simple, given that it really doesn’t matter which route you take to get out. It will just direct you to the nearest road back to the mainland.

There's nothing to prevent you using it as a destination - it's functionally no different to "through traffic" or "all major routes" which is a favourite in Blackburn.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
Fluid Dynamics

Post by Fluid Dynamics »

I grew up and lived in Portsmouth until 18, including the 70s when Portsmouth’s motorways were built. The signs have always said ‘ out of city’. The city’s boundaries extend onto the mainland as well as Portsea Island, but these signs only occur on the Island. I presume the signing reflects that as well as being the UK’s only Island city, that getting off the Island is the only option to get anywhere else by car. It’s a testament to how well the road network works that an Island city of over 200,000 people is served by just 3 roads.

And yes growing up, I always felt it strange that most roads except the A3, M275 and A2030 aren’t signed.
pjr10th

Post by pjr10th »

c2R wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 18:54 I like the French 'all directions' and 'other directions' signs for this reason
At the first roundabout outside of St Helier's car-ferry harbour there is a sign saying 'All directions / Toutes directions'. Bizarrely translated into French as you would need to know English to use any other the other traffic direction signage around Jersey.
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

Bryn666 wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 21:36

There's nothing to prevent you using it as a destination - it's functionally no different to "through traffic" or "all major routes" which is a favourite in Blackburn.
Oh, interesting - I thought special legends like "out of city", that weren't an actual place name, were special cases that needed approval.
vlad

Post by vlad »

It's not quite the same (it's not a city to start with) but the start of the A39 in Falmouth is signed as "Outbound traffic".
"If you expect nothing from somebody you are never disappointed." - Sylvia Plath
Rambo

Post by Rambo »

vlad wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 21:04 It's not quite the same (it's not a city to start with) but the start of the A39 in Falmouth is signed as "Outbound traffic".
Spotted this similarly in Padstow recently
Attachments
IMG_3997.jpg
SteelCamel

Post by SteelCamel »

Rambo wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 21:08 Spotted this similarly in Padstow recently
Surely that shouldn't be blue-bordered? It's the exact opposite of a local destination.
jervi

Post by jervi »

Brighton has this one. (although it says Town)
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.85128 ... ?entry=ttu. Likely installed when the Brighton Bypass was built here in the late 80s, although could be newer. There are no other ones that I am aware of.