Road Signs

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

nigelphillips

Road Signs

Post by nigelphillips »

NEW ROAD LAYOUT AHEAD SIGN: Found this quite odd as only very small entrance to 2 or 3 houses on a very minor road.
Never seen this before on such a small development.
Is this a bit of a waste of public money?
Attachments
IMG_0547 (1).jpg
Big L
Deputy Site Manager

Re: Road Signs

Post by Big L »

Guess it depends on who paid for the sign.
Make poetry history.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Help with maps using the new online calibrator.
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki.
Owain
Elected Committee Member

Post by Owain »

Surely there's a pile of those signs somewhere in each local authority, and they just get put up and taken down as appropriate?
Former President & F99 Driver

Viva la Repubblica!
darkcape

Post by darkcape »

99% chance that the private developer has paid for it as part of S278 works, & it will be a requirement of the road safety audit if the designer missed it off in the first place. New layouts are new layouts 🤷‍♂️
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

darkcape wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 16:41 99% chance that the private developer has paid for it as part of S278 works, & it will be a requirement of the road safety audit if the designer missed it off in the first place. New layouts are new layouts 🤷‍♂️
I find the risk of someone hitting the sign post is probably higher than them not noticing a new layout. These signs are a complete waste of time for the simple reason that anyone local knows it has changed and anyone not local won't know any different.

I'm sure sat nav slaves will still find a unique way to crash or get lost.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
Owain
Elected Committee Member

Post by Owain »

Bryn666 wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 17:13I find the risk of someone hitting the sign post is probably higher than them not noticing a new layout. These signs are a complete waste of time for the simple reason that anyone local knows it has changed and anyone not local won't know any different.
You're probably right. But - as related elsewhere - the absence of any kind of signage on a new roundabout inserted into the NSL A48 Lydney bypass caused me some consternation one night, as a 'local' who knew the road extremely well, but hadn't driven it for a few years.

Granted, the signage did not necessarily have to a "NEW ROAD LAYOUT AHEAD" sign. Just some kind of sign. Any kind of sign. Any mention of the fact there was a roundabout would have been nice.
Former President & F99 Driver

Viva la Repubblica!
exiled
Committee Member

Post by exiled »

Owain wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 21:13
Bryn666 wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 17:13I find the risk of someone hitting the sign post is probably higher than them not noticing a new layout. These signs are a complete waste of time for the simple reason that anyone local knows it has changed and anyone not local won't know any different.
You're probably right. But - as related elsewhere - the absence of any kind of signage on a new roundabout inserted into the NSL A48 Lydney bypass caused me some consternation one night, as a 'local' who knew the road extremely well, but hadn't driven it for a few years.

Granted, the signage did not necessarily have to a "NEW ROAD LAYOUT AHEAD" sign. Just some kind of sign. Any kind of sign. Any mention of the fact there was a roundabout would have been nice.
Having had similar before, I think Bryn is right that these signs are not for the local, or the first time visitor. But I'd agree they are possibly there for the 'quite familiar and possibly former local' but both were years back.
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
Berk

Post by Berk »

Sometimes the signs stay for many years after the project finished… :rolleyes:
Big L
Deputy Site Manager

Post by Big L »

Berk wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 21:33 Sometimes the signs stay for many years after the project finished… :rolleyes:
Like this one in the centre of Cannock. It was fading in 2009.
Make poetry history.

Help with maps using the new online calibrator.
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki.
traffic-light-man

Post by traffic-light-man »

This one is not only a new road layout, but an entirely new road... :roll:
Simon