Streetlighting of Britain Map

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

UKboy

Streetlighting of Britain Map

Post by UKboy »

I am doing what others would say is unprecedented. I will be attempting to map every street lighting location in all of the United Kingdom. This will be a very difficult thing to form all by myself. This will be a thread to discuss locations that are unique or ordinary.

QUICK NOTE: The map will be posted when it is more complete. Be warned that the map will update when a streetlight is either removed or replaced.

I would like to begin with asking for help on identifying a few streetlights. So far all locations listed below are contained within the Wrexham Industrial Estate. This estate holds:
  • Urbis Axia 2s
  • ASD Highway Diamonds
  • Kingfisher KAOSs
  • WRTL 2600s
  • Philips SRS201s (MA)
  • CU Phosco P226s (Found by Demon Tweeks)
  • A sole Philips Iridium + Thorn Beta 5 (near AJCS Logistics)
  • A few unknown lights, shown below.
This one is at the local Nisa store off Bridge Road.

This unique streetlight is located on Maes Brenin and on the other roads around this small housing estate.

This one is next to the AJCS Logistics building off Clywedog Road North. It looks similar to the WRTL SRL8 but I am unsure of this.

This one is located just south of the junction of Bedwell Link and Sesswick Way. This is a complete mystery to me.

Your efforts to help contribute to my map will be greatly appreciated. Any cool finds will be documented by the user who finds them (will not include ordinary - more common - lighting).
Last edited by UKboy on Thu Aug 31, 2023 20:31, edited 1 time in total.
UKboy

Re: Streetlighting of Britain Map

Post by UKboy »

Well I'll be damned. This is weird; an ASD Micro Highway Diamond on what looks to be a 10 metre pole.
multiraider2

Post by multiraider2 »

Sounds a daunting project. But will you also be documenting all the numbers on the streetlights in every road? That would mean you would have to travel to every road in the country/do a lot of viewing on Google Streetview and would take you by my estimate, your whole life. Back in the 1970s, I did that for all the roads in Pilgrims Hatch where I grew up over a period of 2 or 3 years. But I didn't know the lantern types (and I still don't so can't help with your immediate query). My interest was in where things were and how things were numbered/arranged.
UKboy

Post by UKboy »

I am only doing their current installation and their make. I will not be doing all the numbers as that is a very difficult task in its own right, especially with streetlighting that cannot be viewed on StreetView.

To answer your question aswell, Pilgrims Hatch used GECs, Thorn Beta 5s, WRTL Arcs and SGS203s. The Arcs were used on Zebra crossings, SGS203s for main road lighting (A128) and the GECs and Thorn Beta 5s were used on residential side streets. All of which are now succumbing to the horrific Philips DigiStreet LED. I am not sure if every streetlight has been replaced, but I can confirm the lighting on Crow Green Road is DigiStreets; this is shown in the 2022 streetview on the A128.
Alderpoint

Post by Alderpoint »

Some streetlight locations have been mapped on OpenStreetMap as highway=street_lamp. They are not visible on the standard webview but the data is there - easiest way to see it is to go into the OSM editor.
Let it snow.
L.J.D

Post by L.J.D »

When it comes to tiny lanterns on huge columns surely this one takes the award. It looks so hideous.
Jonathan24

Post by Jonathan24 »

For Northern Ireland, all street lighting locations can be found on this map. It's used for reporting faults, but includes the location and number of each light (but not type of lantern).