Buc-ees - US Mega Road Services Chain

Going on holiday? Just returned with pictures or news? Found an interesting website? Post everything international in here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

wallmeerkat

Re: Buc-ees - US Mega Road Services Chain

Post by wallmeerkat »

Ireland has a mix of online MSAs and parking areas just off the carraigeway https://www.google.com/maps/@52.7305431 ... ?entry=ttu
freebrickproductions

Post by freebrickproductions »

Mark Hewitt wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 11:39
BF2142 wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 09:40 There's an American roadside services chain called Buc-ees which operate large-scale service areas - the new one in Tennessee has 120 fuel pumps. Would this work in the UK on our major routes?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buc-ee%27s#
What UK roads need is the exact opposite of that. The French model of there being parking, toilets, a picnic bench and play area and nothing else.
I mean, here in the US, we more or less have that in the form of rest areas and welcome centers on our freeways.
Though, admittedly, they do usually also contain vending machines for snacks and drinks, various free flyers for local attractions, and, if you're in a state that still prints/offers them, free paper highway maps of the state.
Probably busy documenting grade crossings in the southeastern United States.

(They/Them)
exiled
Committee Member

Post by exiled »

wallmeerkat wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 13:49 Ireland has a mix of online MSAs and parking areas just off the carraigeway https://www.google.com/maps/@52.7305431 ... ?entry=ttu
Aren't the lay by areas a legacy of the HQDCs being upgraded to motorway in the 2000s?
Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
orudge
Site Manager

Post by orudge »

freebrickproductions wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 19:09 I mean, here in the US, we more or less have that in the form of rest areas and welcome centers on our freeways.
The number of signs as you enter Georgia is impressive, you've got a lot of reading to do - I think I count 19!

Also unusual (from a UK perspective at least) seeing the Governor's name on both the Georgia and Alabama signs. It'd be rather odd to see a "First Minister Humza Yousaf" sign entering Scotland, or a "Lord Provost Dr David Cameron" (no, not that one) entering Aberdeen.
wallmeerkat

Post by wallmeerkat »

exiled wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 20:39
wallmeerkat wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 13:49 Ireland has a mix of online MSAs and parking areas just off the carraigeway https://www.google.com/maps/@52.7305431 ... ?entry=ttu
Aren't the lay by areas a legacy of the HQDCs being upgraded to motorway in the 2000s?
I think you're right
2007: Gorey bypass; fully grade separated dual carriageway (re-classified as motorway in 2009). 22 km.
Still, if they didn't want them on a motorway they could easily have been barried/bollarded off
roadtester

Post by roadtester »

Mark Hewitt wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 11:39
BF2142 wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 09:40 There's an American roadside services chain called Buc-ees which operate large-scale service areas - the new one in Tennessee has 120 fuel pumps. Would this work in the UK on our major routes?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buc-ee%27s#
What UK roads need is the exact opposite of that. The French model of there being parking, toilets, a picnic bench and play area and nothing else.
The only UK example that comes to mind are the lay-bys with lavatories on the A120 east of Stansted. They are probably the least inviting roadside facilities in the Kingdom.
Electrophorus Electricus

Check out #davidsdailycar on Mastodon
WHBM

Post by WHBM »

orudge wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 10:42 Also unusual (from a UK perspective at least) seeing the Governor's name on both the Georgia and Alabama signs. It'd be rather odd to see a "First Minister Humza Yousaf" sign entering Scotland, or a "Lord Provost Dr David Cameron" (no, not that one) entering Aberdeen.
We are close to this in every notice for TfL now says Transport for London on one side. and Mayor of London on the other. Never used to put up an elected post alongside the organisation they oversee. You don't see alongside National Highways that it's Secretary of State for Transport.

Though there's a way to go yet before getting to the US standard I recall some years ago, in Chicago, where every public notice, starting with the shuttle bus taking us in from the (city owned) airport arrival pad to the terminal said not only City of Chicago, and not only Harold Washington, Mayor, but also had a photo of said mayor.
roadtester

Post by roadtester »

WHBM wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 16:07
orudge wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 10:42 Also unusual (from a UK perspective at least) seeing the Governor's name on both the Georgia and Alabama signs. It'd be rather odd to see a "First Minister Humza Yousaf" sign entering Scotland, or a "Lord Provost Dr David Cameron" (no, not that one) entering Aberdeen.
We are close to this in every notice for TfL now says Transport for London on one side. and Mayor of London on the other. Never used to put up an elected post alongside the organisation they oversee. You don't see alongside National Highways that it's Secretary of State for Transport.

Though there's a way to go yet before getting to the US standard I recall some years ago, in Chicago, where every public notice, starting with the shuttle bus taking us in from the (city owned) airport arrival pad to the terminal said not only City of Chicago, and not only Harold Washington, Mayor, but also had a photo of said mayor.
I think that ‘Mayor of London’ notice is referring to the office in the sense of the responsible unit of local government for the scheme, rather than a person, if you see what I mean.
Electrophorus Electricus

Check out #davidsdailycar on Mastodon
WHBM

Post by WHBM »

roadtester wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 17:08
We are close to this in every notice for TfL now says Transport for London on one side. and Mayor of London on the other.
I think that ‘Mayor of London’ notice is referring to the office in the sense of the responsible unit of local government for the scheme, rather than a person, if you see what I mean.
Surely it is Transport for London who are responsible for the operation. In the case of the Croydon tram accident it was TfL who were fined £10m, and the Mayor was of course nowhere to be seen. To quote the press:
Andy Lord, London’s transport commissioner, said: “I apologise on behalf of everyone at Transport for London, both past and present, for this tragedy
No "Mayor of London ... Transport for London" there.
exiled
Committee Member

Post by exiled »

WHBM wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 18:04
roadtester wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 17:08
We are close to this in every notice for TfL now says Transport for London on one side. and Mayor of London on the other.
Surely it is Transport for London who are responsible for the operation. In the case of the Croydon tram accident it was TfL who were fined £10m, and the Mayor was of course nowhere to be seen. To quote the press:
Andy Lord, London’s transport commissioner, said: “I apologise on behalf of everyone at Transport for London, both past and present, for this tragedy
No "Mayor of London ... Transport for London" there.
TfL comes under the executive authority of the Mayor of London. Because there is no 'London Executive' with that name the executive power is given under the Mayor. TfL would not need to mention the Mayor in the Croydon case as they are the party at the conference issuing it.

Transport Scotland for example does not need to mention it is an agency of the Scottish Government in its press releases, or in most announcements, but there it is 'Scottish Government' on most of its signs, its logos, as ultimately it is the Scottish ministers responsible.
exiled
Committee Member

Post by exiled »

orudge wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 10:42
freebrickproductions wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 19:09 I mean, here in the US, we more or less have that in the form of rest areas and welcome centers on our freeways.
The number of signs as you enter Georgia is impressive, you've got a lot of reading to do - I think I count 19!

Also unusual (from a UK perspective at least) seeing the Governor's name on both the Georgia and Alabama signs. It'd be rather odd to see a "First Minister Humza Yousaf" sign entering Scotland, or a "Lord Provost Dr David Cameron" (no, not that one) entering Aberdeen.
Most states appear to do so, none of the Canadian provinces do so. The governor though of a United State is its head of state, the premiers of the Canadian provinces, the First Ministers of Scotland and Wales, and so on here are not so it would be odd here to post 'Humza Yousaf welcomes you' on the sign.
Nicola_Jayne

Post by Nicola_Jayne »

6637 wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 19:36 Can't imagine a much bigger motorway petrol station getting use unless they were to drop their prices to be in line with supermarket prices– how many people are really going to voluntarily pay the extra £10 to fill up their tank at motorway prices?
fuel card users may well be paying their bunker price regardless of the price on the pump
Vierwielen

Post by Vierwielen »

exiled wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 17:21
rhyds wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 14:17 The problem with "mom and pop" places is you're never sure what you're going to get. At least with a branded offering you've got a good idea of what its going to be available and what the opening hours are.
I think that is a very important bit. On the journey you know what you're getting. A small cafe might be a delight in your own town, or in a holiday destination, but on the move getting what you know has a lot of advantages.
When I was a child, I lived in the town of Colenso (Battle of Colenso fame) which was on the Johannesburg-Durban road. AS motorists caeme into the town from the north, they had to cross a narrow bridge and as soon as they were in the town they saw a roadhouse (the derelict building on the left). Of course they did a roaring trade at teh start of the school holidays - Johannesburg is well inland and Durban is a principal holiday resort. in about 1960 a bypass was built with a full two-lane bridge.This of course diverted traffic from the town and the roadhouse's profits of course took a nosedive. The road has subsequently been replaced by a full motorway some 10 km. This coupled with the closure of the local power station meant that the roadhouse could not survive.