Defacing signs

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Berk

Defacing signs

Post by Berk »

I’m curious: what are the penalties for defacing signs?? And can signs be defaced in certain circumstances?? (don’t worry, I’m not about to do anything stupid :P)

I was musing whether, if permission was sought and granted (probably only for temporary use), whether you could deface a Worboys sign with a PW-style decal, or add a fake triangle or circle - provided the message on the sign remains the same.

For filming, something like that.
nowster
Treasurer

Re: Defacing signs

Post by nowster »

No idea, but there are various cat decals on signs in the Berkshire area.
Chris Bertram

Post by Chris Bertram »

nowster wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 17:34 No idea, but there are various cat decals on signs in the Berkshire area.
There was also the roundabout sign near Didcot that gained additional destinations in Middle Earth, I think, all done immaculately in Transport don't.
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
MotorwayGuy

Post by MotorwayGuy »

I would imagine it would just be classed as criminal damage like any other graffiti. If someone removed/badly damaged something like a stop sign and it led to an accident, there could be other charges involved but I'm not aware of any such cases being brought to court.
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

Yes, it's criminal damage to interfere with a traffic sign without lawful authority - which technically includes "helpful" acts like repositioning a wonky sign or similar so be wary if the 5-0 see you near signs.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
Berk

Post by Berk »

I think a lot of neighbours have 101 on speed dial… :box:

No, but I was interested to know whether you could ask for temporary permission to modify signs, like a PW format.
Chris Bertram

Post by Chris Bertram »

Chris Bertram wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 21:53
nowster wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 17:34 No idea, but there are various cat decals on signs in the Berkshire area.
There was also the roundabout sign near Didcot that gained additional destinations in Middle Earth, I think, all done immaculately in Transport don't.
Here we go, the story dates from 2018: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-o ... e-43470241
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

Berk wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 13:24 I think a lot of neighbours have 101 on speed dial… :box:

No, but I was interested to know whether you could ask for temporary permission to modify signs, like a PW format.
It's very unlikely it would be granted; although there's nothing stopping you from erecting a pre-worboys style fingerpost sign and being within the regulations governing such things beyond getting permission from the highway authority. To be honest, if you were paying for its installation and upkeep and it wasn't interfering with road safety they'd allow that, it's no different to the Rotary Club signs and other stuff that crops up in villages.
Bryn

Truvelo

Post by Truvelo »

I assume there are covers blocking the steps of ladders to stop this sort of thing from happening
Attachments
sine.jpg
How would you like your grade separations, Sir?
Big and complex.
Jonathan24

Post by Jonathan24 »

Truvelo wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 19:12 I assume there are covers blocking the steps of ladders to stop this sort of thing from happening
That's what I would have thought too, but seems to be quite the attraction at the moment.

Doesn't look like there was anything to stop trespassers.
Conekicker

Post by Conekicker »

Berk wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 13:24 I think a lot of neighbours have 101 on speed dial… :box:

For filming purposes it would be easier to get a sign shop to cobble together whatever was required and take the existing sign down CAREFULLY and set it to one side for re-erection. Doubtless the highway authority would require hoops to be jumped through including someone stumping up some (or lots of?) cash. They'd probably want to be involved in the work on site as well, more money for them see?
Patience is not a virtue - it's a concept invented by the dozy beggars who are unable to think quickly enough.
jervi

Post by jervi »

Berk wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 16:19 I’m curious: what are the penalties for defacing signs?? And can signs be defaced in certain circumstances?? (don’t worry, I’m not about to do anything stupid :P)

I was musing whether, if permission was sought and granted (probably only for temporary use), whether you could deface a Worboys sign with a PW-style decal, or add a fake triangle or circle - provided the message on the sign remains the same.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@54.65255 ... ?entry=ttu
Like that?

HA's usually have a procedure for production companies if they wish to close or modify street for filming, they do differ per HA, but for example Brighton & Hove does not mention that signs & lines cannot be removed or modified, but must be returned without damage, or be charged for the damages. https://www.brighton-hove.gov.uk/sites/ ... 0Giles.pdf
AndyB
Elected Committee Member

Post by AndyB »

It’s also a great deal less necessary to substitute signs than it used to be unless you want a pre-Worboys sign or a pre-1975 Stop sign.

Line of Duty digitally altered signs in post-production. The Journey, a fictionalised version of Ian Paisley and Martin McGuinness’s journey from St Andrews (a golf club near Larne) to Edinburgh Airport (Aldergrove) via the A92 and A90 (A8) plus shots of the new Queensferry crossing under construction (anachronistic) used one shot of a fake A92 sign, which I don’t think temporarily replaced any other sign.
Brenley Corner

Post by Brenley Corner »

Truvelo wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 19:12 I assume there are covers blocking the steps of ladders to stop this sort of thing from happening
Gantries are obviously not secured enough as this one on the half mile to M25 J8 anti-clockwise is now completely covered in brightly coloured tags. I reported it to National Highways who passed to the PFI operator maintaining the M25; cleaning has to be done under a full carriageways closure "within a few months"; the perpetrators obviously not being worried about such things.
Brenley Corner: congesting traffic since 1963; discussing roads since 2002
Vierwielen

Post by Vierwielen »

Berk wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 16:19 I’m curious: what are the penalties for defacing signs?? And can signs be defaced in certain circumstances?? (don’t worry, I’m not about to do anything stupid :P)

Defacing signs is usually a total no-no. What happens in practice depends on who you are - if you are likely to try and make a martyr of yourselves, you will probably not be prosecuted for thast offence, but the police will almost certainly find something else for which they can prosecute you.

Many years ago Tesco were illegally displaying imperial prices for fruit and vegetables more prominently that the equivalent metric prices. The authorities conducted a raid and Tesco were fined the mximum for a whole raft of small offences, but no mention was made of metric and imperial units. After that raid Tesco towed the line. I do not know what conversions passed unofficaly between Tesco and the authorities, but you can guess.

In this context, if you were spotted publically removing the metric units on a width restriction sign, the police might well stop you and do you for having a noisy exhaust, having a dirty number plate etc.
SteelCamel

Post by SteelCamel »

If you look at this image, something appears to be padlocked to the bottom of the mesh tube around the ladder. Though there's plenty of other ways to climb up if you're not bothered about your own safety.
Truvelo

Post by Truvelo »

SteelCamel wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 19:49
If you look at this image, something appears to be padlocked to the bottom of the mesh tube around the ladder. Though there's plenty of other ways to climb up if you're not bothered about your own safety.
Was that gantry built after the motorway as it looks like the hard shoulder has been sacrificed to make way for it.
How would you like your grade separations, Sir?
Big and complex.
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

Truvelo wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 19:59
Was that gantry built after the motorway as it looks like the hard shoulder has been sacrificed to make way for it.
It's to avoid the need to widen the bridge deck - the gantry is original.
Bryn

Jonathan24

Post by Jonathan24 »

:shock: Gives me the shivers to think how else they might have got up...