Landslide closes E6 in Sweden

Going on holiday? Just returned with pictures or news? Found an interesting website? Post everything international in here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

FosseWay
Assistant Site Manager

Landslide closes E6 in Sweden

Post by FosseWay »

A chunk of the E6 near Stenungsund north of Gothenburg has been displaced downwards and sideways as a result of a large movement of soil, mud and clay. See before and after drone footage here.

Thankfully it happened in the middle of the night, but nevertheless some vehicles drove over the edge of the slipped area and a number of people were injured. Building work including blasting has been going on in the area, and a police investigation has started to establish whether this contributed to the slide.

According to Trafikverket (the highways authority), the E6 will be closed "for months".
Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
Truvelo

Re: Landslide closes E6 in Sweden

Post by Truvelo »

The diversion looks simple enough with a rural S2 to the east linking up nicely to the next junctions north and south.
How would you like your grade separations, Sir?
Big and complex.
ravenbluemoon
Elected Committee Member

Post by ravenbluemoon »

Eek. That whole section, including the Burger King and petrol station has shifted 50+ metres. Not sure how they're going to stabilise that lot. Of course, the whole area has form for landslides, particularly along the river älv.

It makes me wonder what effect is of the flurry of building work on the north side of the river in Gothenburg - there's some seriously tall skyscapers being built and planned for the next few years. I'm glad we're on a 75 metre high granite hill (we'll just get a dose of radon instead :lol: ).
Truvelo wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 18:14 The diversion looks simple enough with a rural S2 to the east linking up nicely to the next junctions north and south.
Or the Rv160 across Orust, which is actually a decent, fairly modern S2 road. Luckily it is out of tourist season or that way would be horrendously busy.
Tony Alice (they,them)
~~~~~
Owner of a classic rust heap/money pit, and other unremarkable older vehicles.
Usually found with a head in an old map or road atlas.

Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Ask me if you want to get involved!

FosseWay
Assistant Site Manager

Post by FosseWay »

ravenbluemoon wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 19:06
Truvelo wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 18:14 The diversion looks simple enough with a rural S2 to the east linking up nicely to the next junctions north and south.
Or the Rv160 across Orust, which is actually a decent, fairly modern S2 road. Luckily it is out of tourist season or that way would be horrendously busy.
Except that fairly recently Tjörnbron was also closed for urgent repairs IIRC. It's open now, but it has form...
It makes me wonder what effect is of the flurry of building work on the north side of the river in Gothenburg - there's some seriously tall skyscapers being built and planned for the next few years. I'm glad we're on a 75 metre high granite hill (we'll just get a dose of radon instead :lol: ).
I work about 100 metres from Karlatornet, so if it falls over, I'll be in the firing line. My house, on the other hand, is built on solid rock (so much so that the back wall and some of the floor of the cellar is actual bedrock). Radon would be a problem if the cellar was remotely draught-proof, but we keep the holes partly to deal with the radon.

At the moment (i.e. 9pm on a Saturday), the obvious diversion route that Truvelo mentioned does seem to be flowing freely, if Google Maps is any guide. How it will be on Monday morning though...
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!