Dataset of number of lanes

Talk about items you find on SABRE Maps - interesting features, historic road layouts etc. Also contains announcements of new maps available on SABRE Maps.

Moderator: Site Management Team

pdavidboll

Dataset of number of lanes

Post by pdavidboll »

Hi everyone,

Does anyone know of a dataset (ideally in shapefile format) that contains the number of lanes for each road segment in GB? OS open roads etc don't seem to contain this information, only single/dual carriageway etc.
frediculous_biggs
President

Re: Dataset of number of lanes

Post by frediculous_biggs »

Unfortunately not. It would be a fantastic resource to have. Clearly some data must exist for satnavs and the like, but it won't be freely available
Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator

Post by Steven »

OSM certainly has some number of lanes data on it, but I don't think it's massively complete.

You can convert OSM format into Shapefile pretty easily.
Steven
Motorway Historian

Founder Member, SABRE ex-Presidents' Corner

Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!

RichardA35
Elected Committee Member

Post by RichardA35 »

AIUI the HAPMS system is a series of links between nodes that are now able to be geographically displayed as an overlay in Google Earth, ARCGIS etc - the basic link data is available on OpenData.
The HAPMS is primarily the pavement management system so I suspect one of the subsidiary information fields for a link between nodes will be the number of lanes and the nodes are positioned at these key changes or changes in pavement construction type etc..
I suspect the information will be available but the question just needs to be asked in the right way
RichardA35
Elected Committee Member

Post by RichardA35 »

I've just queried the HAPMS data available in Opendata and whilst the number of lanes exists as a field, the number has been entered as 3 for every link in the database....
HAPMS_sample.png