Seeking roadtrip inspiration

Going on holiday? Just returned with pictures or news? Found an interesting website? Post everything international in here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

ChrisH

Seeking roadtrip inspiration

Post by ChrisH »

Next year I have a Big Birthday. Planning to take a week off, leave the kids at home with grandparents, and take off with the Mrs for a trip. I'd like to go and see somewhere exciting and do a roadtrip. It can be long-haul but not ultra-long-haul (only have a week so don't want to spend most of it getting to New Zealand). It will also be November which rules out a lot of parts of the world for bad weather.

So far either the Florida Keys or the National Parks in Utah/Arizona/Nevada are at the top of the list.

Any other ideas or experience?
Vierwielen

Re: Seeking roadtrip inspiration

Post by Vierwielen »

An interesting trip that I did a few years ago was through some of the passes in the Western Cape (South Africa). Spectacular passes include Meiringspoort on the A14 (15 km north of Oudtshoorn) and du Toits Kloof pass + tunnel (40 km from Cape Town). Also a trip to Cape Point from Cape Town along the Atlantic seaboard. If you do this, don't forget to visit a vineyard and/or an ostrich farm.

Although Cape Town might me a long way off, it is an overnight flight and only a 2-hour time change.
Last edited by Vierwielen on Thu Nov 02, 2023 12:33, edited 1 time in total.
bart

Post by bart »

Bryce Canyon and Zion are fantastic, especially if you're prepared to do a little bit of hiking. Also Arches (Delicate Arch is simply incredible) and Monument Valley (stay at the hotel there so you can see sunset and sunrise), but if you've only got a week then that might be a bit out of the way and you might be better flying into Vegas and doing Bryce, Zion, and both rims of the Grand Canyon (and there's a long stretch of the original Route 66 in Arizona and a museum in Kingman). A helicopter ride out over the Grand Canyon is quite special. I did all that back in 1996 and revisited Arches in 2021. Grand Canyon West (where the Skywalk is) isn't worth it. If you're in Vegas, go to the Meow Wolf Omega Mart.
KeithW

Post by KeithW »

ChrisH wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 09:04 Next year I have a Big Birthday. Planning to take a week off, leave the kids at home with grandparents, and take off with the Mrs for a trip. I'd like to go and see somewhere exciting and do a roadtrip. It can be long-haul but not ultra-long-haul (only have a week so don't want to spend most of it getting to New Zealand). It will also be November which rules out a lot of parts of the world for bad weather.

So far either the Florida Keys or the National Parks in Utah/Arizona/Nevada are at the top of the list.

Any other ideas or experience?
A critical issue is when, Southern Arizona can be brutally hot in summer but if you are in the northern part of the state near Flagstaff not only is it cooler but you can see attractions like the Grand Canyon, Meteor Crater, Petrified Forest NP on day trips

In summer (June to end of September) Florida is always at risk from Hurricanes and high humidity is the norm.

Utah is an interesting one but when it comes to flights I would look at flying in to Denver for Rocky Mountain NP, we stayed out a Estes Park NW of Denver. Denver is major hub so flights are often reasonable and non stop flights from the UK are available. I wouldn't drive from Denver airport to Estes Park again though as its a 60 mile drive after a long flight, we ended up getting there after dark.
KeithW

Post by KeithW »

bart wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 23:34 Bryce Canyon and Zion are fantastic, especially if you're prepared to do a little bit of hiking. Also Arches (Delicate Arch is simply incredible) and Monument Valley (stay at the hotel there so you can see sunset and sunrise), but if you've only got a week then that might be a bit out of the way and you might be better flying into Vegas and doing Bryce, Zion, and both rims of the Grand Canyon (and there's a long stretch of the original Route 66 in Arizona and a museum in Kingman). A helicopter ride out over the Grand Canyon is quite special. I did all that back in 1996 and revisited Arches in 2021. Grand Canyon West (where the Skywalk is) isn't worth it. If you're in Vegas, go to the Meow Wolf Omega Mart.
Be aware that Monument Valley is alcohol free, they used to tolerate tourists bring in their own booze but not any more. As I recall the nearest place you can buy it is Mexican Hat which is about 60 miles away.

As for Las Vegas room rates tend to be higher at week ends than mid week.
roadtester

Post by roadtester »

Don’t forget Europe has spectacular road trip possibilities too!

One of the most amazing drives I’ve ever undertaken was through southern Spain between Gibraltar and Madrid (about 700 kms). Magnificent mountainous and sometimes desert-like terrain. I’d love to do it again.
Electrophorus Electricus

Check out #davidsdailycar on Mastodon
bart

Post by bart »

KeithW wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 14:10 As for Las Vegas room rates tend to be higher at week ends than mid week.
And watch out for the Formula One, assuming it's at the same time next year as this.
Big L
Deputy Site Manager

Post by Big L »

bart wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 01:17
KeithW wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 14:10 As for Las Vegas room rates tend to be higher at week ends than mid week.
And watch out for the Formula One, assuming it's at the same time next year as this.
Schedule was released more than 3 months ago, so no assumptions required. Las Vegas is November 23rd 2024.
Make poetry history.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Help with maps using the new online calibrator.
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki.
ChrisH

Post by ChrisH »

Big L wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 05:30
bart wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 01:17
Schedule was released more than 3 months ago, so no assumptions required. Las Vegas is November 23rd 2024.
Thanks - that's helpful to know. I suppose in a week, and given I haven't been to Vegas before so would spend a day or two there, the question is how far would we reasonably get around the National Parks like Bryce, Zion and Arches.
Vierwielen wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 15:28 An interesting trip that I did a few years ago was through some of the passes in the Western Cape (South Africa). Spectacular passes include Meiringspoort on the A14 (15 km north of Oudtshoorn) and du Toits Kloof pass + tunnel (40 km from Cape Town). Also a trip to Cape Point from Cape Town along the Atlantic seaboard. If you do this, don't forget to visit a vineyard and/or an ostrich farm.

Although Cape Town might me a long way off, it is an overnight flight and only a 2-hour time change.
We had a great trip here back in 2017, driving from Cape Town to Port Elizabeth via Franschhoek and then Route 62 via Oudtshoorn and George. Beautiful scenery and the overall experience reminded me a lot of parts of Australia in the expansiveness and scenery.