Under-utilised, badly sited or even failed Park & Rides

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Piatkow

Re: Under-utilised, badly sited or even failed Park & Rides

Post by Piatkow »

multiraider2 wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 20:59
Chris5156 wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 21:20
jabbaboy wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 10:00All P&R's are useless imo when it involves buses unless the place your going to doesn't have any parking at all (like Whitby or York) or it's through the roof pricing wise and you pick up some workers who can't afford to pay the price.
Even in York you can find council-owned car parks in the city centre that are economically priced. When you factor in the waiting and journey time on the bus, it takes no less time and costs very little more to just drive in to the centre and park here.
I had never been to Whitby before this June. Didn't know anything about local parking or a park and ride, but before thinking about any of that, shoved the car right here and walked into the centre. Parking brake was sound but angled the wheels into the kerb, I think which I got from A. Tom Topper's How to Drive in Pictures aged about 14.
That damn hill gave me a heart attack last time I walked up it.

If you know the town or are just lucky you can find free parking in Whitby. If you approach the town by the A174 or from the Scarborough direction on the A171 you won't go anywhere near the P&R anyway