Plans for first service station on M69

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Paul7755

Re: Plans for first service station on M69

Post by Paul7755 »

ravenbluemoon wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 13:49
darkcape wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 19:28 I wouldn't say there's much demand, most of the M69 traffic is doing relatively local journeys between Birmingham, Coventry & Leucester, Corley & LFE aren't far away, plus plenty of smaller facilities such as at Binley, Walsgrave, Hinckley & Fosse Park.
Given the recent upgrades to the A46 around Coventry it is now a decent route for long distance traffic from the North East/Yorkshire to the M40 corridor and beyond. It's certainly preferable to the A43 nowadays.
Yes, I’ve used it a lot over the years on trips from Winchester to the north east, even before the more recent improvements. A43, A42/M42, A46/M69 - they’re all pretty much the same to me, I still use all 3 for a bit of variety.
danfw194

Post by danfw194 »

I do wonder, if this goes ahead, is there any chance that it might not actually get signposted from the M69? Just thinking about for example Oval Services near J16 of the M1, which as far as I know is not signposted on the M1. Ok, slight differences with that example as the service station is technically not attached directly to J16, and the M1 has Roadchef Northampton Services a couple of miles further south. But could this end up not actually achieving blue sign status? And who decides that? I'm pretty sure the owners of Oval Services would want it signed on the M1, but who gives the yes or no?
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

danfw194 wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 16:06I do wonder, if this goes ahead, is there any chance that it might not actually get signposted from the M69? Just thinking about for example Oval Services near J16 of the M1, which as far as I know is not signposted on the M1. Ok, slight differences with that example as the service station is technically not attached directly to J16, and the M1 has Roadchef Northampton Services a couple of miles further south. But could this end up not actually achieving blue sign status? And who decides that? I'm pretty sure the owners of Oval Services would want it signed on the M1, but who gives the yes or no?
It would have to be approved as a Motorway Service Area to be signposted from the motorway - I think National Highways would make that decision.
vlad

Post by vlad »

Bryn666 wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 11:09 Am I the only person who finds Tebay really overrated?
I've never been to Tebay and to be honest never will given just how bad I think Gloucester Services are. Give me Leicester Forest East any day.
"If you expect nothing from somebody you are never disappointed." - Sylvia Plath
tom1977

Post by tom1977 »

danfw194 wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 16:06 I do wonder, if this goes ahead, is there any chance that it might not actually get signposted from the M69? Just thinking about for example Oval Services near J16 of the M1, which as far as I know is not signposted on the M1. Ok, slight differences with that example as the service station is technically not attached directly to J16, and the M1 has Roadchef Northampton Services a couple of miles further south. But could this end up not actually achieving blue sign status? And who decides that? I'm pretty sure the owners of Oval Services would want it signed on the M1, but who gives the yes or no?
It would have to meet the requirements for a signed roadside facility as set out in Circular 01/2022 (See Annex A for mandatory requirements), and the operator would need to enter into an agreement with National Highways. One of the requirements is that the service area must either be accessed directly from the mainline (online services), or share a boundary with the SRN it serves (offline services).