Route Confirmatory Signs

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

AtlanticHighway

Route Confirmatory Signs

Post by AtlanticHighway »

There seems to be a huge disparity between the distance of destinations on route confirmatory signs. To take some of the motorways around London - the M11 signposts as far away as Cambridge but the A1(M) and M1 only signpost Hatfield and Luton (& airport) respectively. Conversely the M40 signs as far away as Oxford and Birmingham and the M3 as far away as Southampton but the M4 only shows Slough and Reading. Seems to me that it would be more consistent and helpful to show more distances further away - I feel the A1(M) should show Peterborough at least and the M1 show should MK, Northampton and Leicester. The M4 as far as Bristol etc.
KeithW

Re: Route Confirmatory Signs

Post by KeithW »

AtlanticHighway wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 12:10 There seems to be a huge disparity between the distance of destinations on route confirmatory signs. To take some of the motorways around London - the M11 signposts as far away as Cambridge but the A1(M) and M1 only signpost Hatfield and Luton (& airport) respectively. Conversely the M40 signs as far away as Oxford and Birmingham and the M3 as far away as Southampton but the M4 only shows Slough and Reading. Seems to me that it would be more consistent and helpful to show more distances further away - I feel the A1(M) should show Peterborough at least and the M1 show should MK, Northampton and Leicester. The M4 as far as Bristol etc.
Well the M11 is only 50 miles long and apart from the M25 what else are we going to put on an RCS apart from Harlow, Stansted and Cambridge ?
RichardA35
Elected Committee Member

Post by RichardA35 »

KeithW wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 14:58
AtlanticHighway wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 12:10 There seems to be a huge disparity between the distance of destinations on route confirmatory signs. To take some of the motorways around London - the M11 signposts as far away as Cambridge but the A1(M) and M1 only signpost Hatfield and Luton (& airport) respectively. Conversely the M40 signs as far away as Oxford and Birmingham and the M3 as far away as Southampton but the M4 only shows Slough and Reading. Seems to me that it would be more consistent and helpful to show more distances further away - I feel the A1(M) should show Peterborough at least and the M1 show should MK, Northampton and Leicester. The M4 as far as Bristol etc.
Well the M11 is only 50 miles long and apart from the M25 what else are we going to put on an RCS apart from Harlow, Stansted and Cambridge ?
I reckon Newmarket would be a good choice.
Big L
Deputy Site Manager

Post by Big L »

RichardA35 wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 16:41
KeithW wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 14:58
I reckon Newmarket would be a good choice.
Norwich?
Make poetry history.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Help with maps using the new online calibrator.
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki.
KeithW

Post by KeithW »

If you want to go to Norwich or Newmarket from the M11 the route takes you off the M11 at Stump Cross (J9) and you follow the A11 as signed here.
https://www.google.com/maps/@52.0532764 ... &entry=ttu

An RCS is there to tell you are on the road you want and headed in the right direction not to be a list of all possible destinations from that point, that would be rather large from M1 J8.

Lets have a go :
Luton
Milton Keynes
Northampton
Rugby
Birmingham
Stafford
Stoke-on-Trent
Warrington
Manchester
Preston
Blackpool
Lancaster
Penrith
Carlisle
Glasgow
RichardA35
Elected Committee Member

Post by RichardA35 »

KeithW wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 18:46 If you want to go to Norwich or Newmarket from the M11 the route takes you off the M11 at Stump Cross (J9) and you follow the A11 as signed here.

An RCS is there to tell you are on the road you want and headed in the right direction not to be a list of all possible destinations from that point, that would be rather large from M1 J8.

Lets have a go :
Luton
Milton Keynes
Northampton
Rugby
Birmingham
Stafford
Stoke-on-Trent
Warrington
Manchester
Preston
Blackpool
Lancaster
Penrith
Carlisle
Glasgow
Might I suggest looking at the first northbound RCS after junction 4 and reporting back.
Big L
Deputy Site Manager

Post by Big L »

KeithW wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 18:46 If you want to go to Norwich or Newmarket from the M11 the route takes you off the M11 at Stump Cross (J9) and you follow the A11 as signed here.

Lets have a go :
Luton
Milton Keynes
Northampton
Rugby
Birmingham
Stafford
Stoke-on-Trent
Warrington
Manchester
Preston
Blackpool
Lancaster
Penrith
Carlisle
Glasgow
What have the East Midlands and Yorkshire done to upset you?
Make poetry history.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Help with maps using the new online calibrator.
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki.
the cheesecake man

Post by the cheesecake man »

There's disparity on the same road too! :roll: As has been mentioned before on other threads, on the northbound M1 Sheffield appears 74 miles away at Lutterworth but southbound it doesn't get a mention until after Wakefield at just 26 miles.
Rillington

Post by Rillington »

a good example of a place having disproportionately excellent coverage is Wetherby. Wetherby is a small town on the edged of the A1 yet it has a distance coverage from way further than its size would warrant, including, iirc, even on the A66.
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

I mean, it's perfectly legitimate to have Shrewsbury signed at 64 miles away on the A5 near Hinckley on an RCS but probably not required.

Imagine my later surprise to find Shrewsbury (A53) signed on an RCS on the A500 approaching the M6 at J15 too. The place gets some love on RCS, but not so much on ADS.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
vlad

Post by vlad »

Bryn666 wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 23:56 I mean, it's perfectly legitimate to have Shrewsbury signed at 64 miles away on the A5 near Hinckley on an RCS but probably not required.

Imagine my later surprise to find Shrewsbury (A53) signed on an RCS on the A500 approaching the M6 at J15 too. The place gets some love on RCS, but not so much on ADS.
Shrewsbury is the next primary destination going in that direction, unless you fancy using the M6. Having said that, I do agree with you that once you've reached Stoke, the two primary destinations signed on the A500 are Uttoxeter and Shrewsbury.
"If you expect nothing from somebody you are never disappointed." - Sylvia Plath