MOT Maps - Corrections or smudges?

Talk about items you find on SABRE Maps - interesting features, historic road layouts etc. Also contains announcements of new maps available on SABRE Maps.

Moderator: Site Management Team

rileyrob

MOT Maps - Corrections or smudges?

Post by rileyrob »

I've been scrolling round on the MOT maps a bit, and noticed numerous green and red smudges. Now most of them are just that, but a couple hint at a route number being erased.
Just Here for example, the shadow of a number can be seen under the 'B' of Black Isle. The first digit is reasonably clear and looks like an 8, the second could be a 5 or 6, and if there is a third I would suggest a 1 but that could be my imagination. It hints at the (unlikely) possibility that the B861 was considered to cross over to Culbokie.

On the same link, there could be a fourth digit after 834 at Dingwall, but that seems to be a red herring.

To the north of Aberdeen is this apparent correction of the 998 number. It looks as though it was originally written as 989, then the end 9 removed and a correct one added at the beginning.

It also looks as though a (correct) 818 label was put on the corner of the sheet here and then erased.

Are there any other reasonably clear examples to be found, and do any actually lead to early (or very late) changes in the 1922 routes?
Rob.
My mission is to travel every road and visit every town, village and hamlet in the British Isles.
I don't like thinking about how badly I am doing.