Google Maps web mapping change

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

FleetlinePhil

Re: Google Maps web mapping change

Post by FleetlinePhil »

FosseWay wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 14:22
A related issue is the rendering of non-English characters in the Latin alphabet. Take this view: Valö to the east is correctly spelt, but Tornö and Kungsö are spelt Torno and Kungso. Again, the inconsistency is baffling. It doesn't seem to have a problem with names in Russian or Ukrainian where the whole alphabet is different. I haven't checked this kind of thing in Wales or Ireland, because in those countries there is better mapping available anyway.
I've found the Czech names extremely good on Google Maps, and their street naming conventions don't often allow for abbreviations. However, I noticed nám. for náměstí (square) and nábř. for nábřeží (embankment) seem to be used most of the time, but not always - Náměstí Míru in Prague is written in full for no obvious reason.

Incidentally, friends of mine who visit Prague regularly raved about mapy.cz as being "much better than Google" and I did put the app on my phone, but the Eagle Street, Todmorden inaccuracy test reveals it is also an OSM dataset user. When I'm in Prague, I tend to use a free offline map app on my phone, which is extremely good but only covers the city region (simply called "Offline Map of Prague") as well as the maps in the pid lítáčka transport app. This actually uses Google Maps, but I notice it hasn't updated to the new format yet.
Helvellyn

Post by Helvellyn »

Chris5156 wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 11:46
FleetlinePhil wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 11:12Back to the OP, and personally I think the increased contrast in built-up areas on Google Maps is a massive improvement that will outweigh any downside I've found. Now I just need them to get rid of my personal pet hate, the (US-inspired?) abbreviation of road names!
Yes, the more I use it, the less I care that the colours are ugly, I'm just glad I can see everything clearly! The abbreviations are often absurd - names like "The Grn" and "N St" are silly. I wouldn't miss those at all.
The ugliness is still a major turn-off for me - I've always been very much against a "don't care if it's sufficiently utilitartian" approach, in all areas. And utility-wise it really, really needs to separate out different road standards much better. Although I suspect it's more design bandwaggon jumping than anything else.

It shouldn't be hard to get the best of both worlds (I remember not being too impressed with the previous iteration when that was first released, thanks to the terrible lack of contrast. Like I said earlier it's not hard, the OS have been doing it for ages.
nowster
Treasurer

Post by nowster »

FleetlinePhil wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 11:39 ...the Eagle Street, Todmorden inaccuracy test reveals it is also an OSM dataset user.
What's the problem, and can we fix it?

Is it that Bath Street is not correctly offset?
FleetlinePhil

Post by FleetlinePhil »

nowster wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 14:54
FleetlinePhil wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 11:39 ...the Eagle Street, Todmorden inaccuracy test reveals it is also an OSM dataset user.
What's the problem, and can we fix it?
There is a terrace of houses strangely absent along the central section of Eagle Street, opposite the former weaving shed. Looking at this view on GSV, the pair of houses in the foreground is shown well enough, but the next terrace (extending as far as Vale Street) is missing. In fairness, even Google Maps doesn't show it particularly well, breaking it up more than is actually the case.
nowster
Treasurer

Post by nowster »

FleetlinePhil wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 15:09
nowster wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 14:54 What's the problem, and can we fix it?
There is a terrace of houses strangely absent along the central section of Eagle Street, opposite the former weaving shed.
That's actually the more minor problem in that area. There are road alignments (and classification) that need fixing first. However, the edit function of OSM is broken at this instant (it shows the aerial photography but no OSM data shows over the top of it), so I can't do any edits.
FleetlinePhil

Post by FleetlinePhil »

nowster wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 15:18
There is a terrace of houses strangely absent along the central section of Eagle Street, opposite the former weaving shed.
That's actually the more minor problem in that area. There are road alignments (and classification) that need fixing first. However, the edit function of OSM is broken at this instant (it shows the aerial photography but no OSM data shows over the top of it), so I can't do any edits.
Thanks, no rush I suppose. I tend to home in on it as I lived there for 35 years!
Mapper89062

Post by Mapper89062 »

The editing seems to have been fixed now.
Just your average mapper, bringing you a map-focused take on today's world
nowster
Treasurer

Post by nowster »

FleetlinePhil wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 13:01
Thanks, no rush I suppose. I tend to home in on it as I lived there for 35 years!
Fixed. https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=18/53.71700/-2.09688
FleetlinePhil

Post by FleetlinePhil »

nowster wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 13:42

Not that I can see, sorry - unless it's not yet updated where I'm looking at it?
nowster
Treasurer

Post by nowster »

FleetlinePhil wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 14:23
nowster wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 13:42

Not that I can see, sorry - unless it's not yet updated where I'm looking at it?
Force a cache refresh on the page. In Firefox it's SHIFT-CTRL-R.
FleetlinePhil

Post by FleetlinePhil »

nowster wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 17:36
FleetlinePhil wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 14:23
Force a cache refresh on the page. In Firefox it's SHIFT-CTRL-R.
That's got it, thanks. Yes, that's much more like it - it's a very odd little street in all honesty but I don't think every little back alley needs to be shown.

I see mapy.cz doesn't appear to have updated yet, I will keep an occasional eye on it to see if it does.