N2 Slane: Downhill climbing lane with traffic lights

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

bothar

Re: N2 Slane: Downhill climbing lane with traffic lights

Post by bothar »

N2 Slane bypass has gone to planning approval
https://n2slanebypass.ie/planning-application/

this is the general idea, detailed maps in the planning application
slanemap.png
"I intend to always travel a different road"
Ibn Battuta 1304-1368
A303Chris

Post by A303Chris »

Seems sensible, not know why the previous scheme failed but tieing the bypass in with environmental improvements in the village to assist active travel seems very sensible. You can only enhance the environment for the local population if you take the traffic out.

Nice to read in the notice its DC, if over here it would be SC.
The M25 - The road to nowhere
MotorwayGuy

Post by MotorwayGuy »

D2 seems overkill unless there are plans to extend in the future, but that's from a UK perspective where we tend to underspec everything.
unrepentantfool

Post by unrepentantfool »

MotorwayGuy wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 17:05 D2 seems overkill unless there are plans to extend in the future, but that's from a UK perspective where we tend to underspec everything.
Well, the only other sizeable settlement on the N2 between the end of the M2 and the N33 junction is Ardee, so a subsequent eastern Ardee N2 bypass to a junction east of Ardee on the N33 would only be about 3km, and then you have a reasonable alternative to the M1 into Dublin.
bothar

Post by bothar »

A303Chris wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 16:53 Seems sensible, not know why the previous scheme failed but tieing the bypass in with environmental improvements in the village to assist active travel seems very sensible. You can only enhance the environment for the local population if you take the traffic out.

Nice to read in the notice its DC, if over here it would be SC.
The East-West traffic needs to be taken out also.

MotorwayGuy wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 17:05 D2 seems overkill unless there are plans to extend in the future, but that's from a UK perspective where we tend to underspec everything.
There is also a proposal for a D2 from the end of the M2 to the junction of the R152, which would be 15Km south of this scheme. The AADT there is 17000+ so a D2 is justified.
https://www.n2rath2kilmoon.ie/

As for route generally, I think having some redundancy in the road network is useful. There is a view that all traffic should be funnelled into the M1/M50 junction, but that gives a single point of failure.
Ibn Battuta 1304-1368
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

bothar wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 00:19
There is also a proposal for a D2 from the end of the M2 to the junction of the R152, which would be 15Km south of this scheme. The AADT there is 17000+ so a D2 is justified.

As for route generally, I think having some redundancy in the road network is useful. There is a view that all traffic should be funnelled into the M1/M50 junction, but that gives a single point of failure.
I'd say there already is redundancy - the M1 and M3 are all of 17km apart where the Rath to Kilmoon scheme is being suggested. That's a lot of capacity in the same general direction in the same area. A third dual carriageway in between the two is redundancy on steroids!
bothar

Post by bothar »

Chris5156 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 13:51
bothar wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 00:19

I'd say there already is redundancy - the M1 and M3 are all of 17km apart where the Rath to Kilmoon scheme is being suggested. That's a lot of capacity in the same general direction in the same area. A third dual carriageway in between the two is redundancy on steroids!
The 2+2 format is quite a limited form of construction, it hardly makes sense to do less on a national primary route in Leinster.
Ibn Battuta 1304-1368