Carlisle Southern Link Road

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Kalna

Post by Kalna »

This is a much needed project but most locals (myself included) want fewer round abouts. The A689 which was extended to the west of Carlisle has 14 or possibly more and is a frequent source of frustration given most of the traffic is heading straight to west Cumbria rather than the various turn offs.

I'm not sure whether they will sign it A689 (thus meeting the M6 twice) or a new number. Link below.

https://www.cumbria.gov.uk/cslr/
Phil

Re: Carlisle Southern Link Road

Post by Phil »

Read the webpage carefully - this road is basically there to facilitate mass housebuilding (par the course these days and fully encouraged by Westminster). As such it has to be full of rodabouts to provide access to the developments. That it will also form a southern by-pass of Carlisle is usefull - but not the reason it will get built.

As part of developing an improved road network in and around Carlisle, Cumbria County Council, working with partners, has developed the Carlisle Southern Link Road (CSLR) scheme.

The need to improve east to west connectivity was identified in the Local Enterprise Partnership (LEP) Cumbria Infrastructure Plan and in Carlisle City Council's adopted Carlisle District Local Plan 2015-2030. The link road is required to unlock delivery of the planned St Cuthbert's Garden Village.

On 23 July 2020, Cumbria County Council's Cabinet agreed to enter in to a new and important funding agreement with Homes England to deliver the new Carlisle Southern Link Road. The funding agreement is a major milestone and is worth in excess of £134million and secures the final funding arrangement required to secure the delivery of the new Carlisle Southern Link Road.

"The road will play a vital role in supporting the economic recovery of Carlisle and Cumbria following COVID-19 and it is key to the successful delivery of growth projects and initiatives such as the St.Cuthberts Garden Village, a scheme led by Carlisle City Council that will deliver 10,000 new homes and employment opportunities within Carlisle, bringing significant benefits to the city and the wider county. The delivery of the new road will also improve east - west connectivity to the south of the city, in particular improving road connections to West Cumbria.

The signing of this new funding agreement is the most important milestone so far, in delivering the Carlisle Southern Link Road as it formally secures the final allocation of the funding required. Now that the County Council cabinet has agreed to enter the funding agreement, the agreement will be signed before the end of the month as a 'tripartite' agreement between Homes England (on behalf of MHCLG), Cumbria County Council and Carlisle City Council
Glenn A

Post by Glenn A »

Kalna wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 13:25 This is a much needed project but most locals (myself included) want fewer round abouts. The A689 which was extended to the west of Carlisle has 14 or possibly more and is a frequent source of frustration given most of the traffic is heading straight to west Cumbria rather than the various turn offs.

I'm not sure whether they will sign it A689 (thus meeting the M6 twice) or a new number. Link below.

Yes and made annoying by people not using the correct lanes. However, the NDR has made journeys to Scotland 20 minutes shorter and removed most of the HGVs from Wigton Rd. Also it makes access from the west to places like the Cumberland Infirmary and the Kingstown Industrial Estate far quicker and easier.
The southern by pass will be interesting and will form an orbital road around Carlisle including the M6. Won't be of much benefit to me travelling from west Cumbria unless I am going to the races.
MFB

Post by MFB »

Glenn A wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 14:59
Kalna wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 13:25 This is a much needed project but most locals (myself included) want fewer round abouts. The A689 which was extended to the west of Carlisle has 14 or possibly more and is a frequent source of frustration given most of the traffic is heading straight to west Cumbria rather than the various turn offs.

Yes and made annoying by people not using the correct lanes. However, the NDR has made journeys to Scotland 20 minutes shorter and removed most of the HGVs from Wigton Rd. Also it makes access from the west to places like the Cumberland Infirmary and the Kingstown Industrial Estate far quicker and easier.
The southern by pass will be interesting and will form an orbital road around Carlisle including the M6. Won't be of much benefit to me travelling from west Cumbria unless I am going to the races.
I still make it quicker to A69/Hexham from W.Cumbria via city centre though despite the signage. Those A689 roundabouts are a killer!
Truvelo

Post by Truvelo »

The map shows each roundabout will have two lanes on the exits which means at least some of the frustration is removed by being able to out accelerate slower traffic from the roundabouts. Eventually the roundabouts will need traffic lights if the entire area within the bypass is infilled with development.
How would you like your grade separations, Sir?
Big and complex.
Kalna

Post by Kalna »

Truvelo wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 19:46 The map shows each roundabout will have two lanes on the exits which means at least some of the frustration is removed by being able to out accelerate slower traffic from the roundabouts.
Unfortunately they seem to have a habit of building the roundabouts much smaller than first envisaged in the planning documents. The roundabouts on the northern link road were reduced in size making for very slow going, as others have commented.
SteveA30

Post by SteveA30 »

The new Durdar bridge should be a major GSJ for the area, by diverting Buckabank Rd to it and using Newbiggin Rd as the link to the other 2 rbts, eliminating 3 rbts in total. Even as it is though, W.Cumbria drivers could abandon the older part of the route and go direct to the M6 J42, which may still be unsignalled but, no doubt will be signalled when this is built.
Roads and holidays in the west, before motorways.
http://trektothewest.shutterfly.com
http://holidayroads.webs.com/
Glenn A

Post by Glenn A »

MFB wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 19:43
Glenn A wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 14:59

I still make it quicker to A69/Hexham from W.Cumbria via city centre though despite the signage. Those A689 roundabouts are a killer!
Maybe to the A69, but certainly not to jct 44 of the M6. The A7 was a complete drag out of Carlisle with bus lanes, traffic lights every 300 yards and houses on either side.
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

JammyDodge

Post by JammyDodge »

wrinkly wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 21:27 Contract awarded

https://www.constructionenquirer.com/20 ... hern-link/
Hopefully they will get going in 2022
Designing Tomorrow, Around the Past
M19

Post by M19 »

Truvelo wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 19:46 The map shows each roundabout will have two lanes on the exits which means at least some of the frustration is removed by being able to out accelerate slower traffic from the roundabouts. Eventually the roundabouts will need traffic lights if the entire area within the bypass is infilled with development.
Good luck with that. The entry angles will have drivers in the left lane heading in a trajectory towards the wrong lane on the roundabout oblivious to your passing, they won’t follow the circular path that feels awkward owing to the design.
M19
Glenn A

Post by Glenn A »

When this is completed, it will mean Carlisle will be completely by passed. What is of interest to me is which number the new road will take. I wonder if the A689 will continue to JCT 42 of the M6, or if the A595 number will be used and the A595 through Carlisle will be downgraded to a B road.
jackal

Post by jackal »

CCC wrote:Progress update - December 2022
Cumbria County Council are currently retendering the construction contractor to undertake the construction of the new road and infrastructure. The contractor will be appointed towards the end of March 2023 with construction activities commencing on site in June 2023 subject to the necessary approvals and funding being in place. Site and vegetation clearance is well underway and a major package of utility diversion works are taking place along with the construction of Occupational Lonning.

The County Council, City Council and Government remain committed to finding a way to deliver the project in a challenging economy recognising that this multi-million-pound scheme is vital for the growth of Carlisle and delivering the St Cuthbert's Garden Village project.
What I find curious about this scheme is that it will replace the existing Newbiggin Road east of Brisco Road, which is decently aligned and opened in the early 70s with the motorway. This is a pretty expensive undertaking, with substantial earthworks and replacement of the WCML and River Petteril bridges, for little discernable benefit.

AAndy

Carlisle Southern Link Road. A689? (under construction)

Post by AAndy »

(I couldn't find an existing thread)
Work is underway at the Western end ( A595)
I'm guessing it'll be an extension of the A689.
Attachments
b.jpg
c.jpg
AAndy

Re: Carlisle Southern Link Road. A689? (under construction)

Post by AAndy »

Glenn A

Re: Carlisle Southern Link Road. A689? (under construction)

Post by Glenn A »

It's due for completion in the summer of 2025 and I can remember seeing preparatory works near the roundabout last year, then work was paused due to problems with a contractor and soaring costs, but luckily the CSL is under construction now.
One beneficiary will be the racecourse, which is next to the CSL. This will mean traffic will no longer have to drive through the city centre or clog up villages like Dalston to reach the racecourse.
AAndy

Post by AAndy »

Thanks for finding the thread and merging mine.... fwiw, i completed several advanced searches for the whole and part terms of "carlisle southern link road" and this thread never came in the results.

I find it disappointing that no GSJ's are planned.
chriscumbria

Post by chriscumbria »

AAndy wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 16:49 I find it disappointing that no GSJ's are planned.
True, but at least it's only three new roundabouts, plus the two existing ones at each end, rather than the dozen or so that plagues the Carlisle northern link road.
AAndy

Post by AAndy »

chriscumbria wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 12:32
AAndy wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 16:49 I find it disappointing that no GSJ's are planned.
True, but at least it's only three new roundabouts, plus the two existing ones at each end, rather than the dozen or so that plagues the Carlisle northern link road.
I drove the A689 during rush hour twice last week and must have had a good run, no hold ups at all ( prob as Glen suggests, lack of HGV's).
However the 'Milton Keynes' style that's been adopted does not allow for smooth journeys.

If I'm heading north on the A595 I will have a choice of heading East or West at Newby west though!
Chris56000

Post by Chris56000 »

. . .That'll be the FIFTH lot of new signage needed at J42 !

Lot 1 :– Original Worboys era signs, no chopsticks, A6 North and South primary green ;

Lot 2 :– 1980s/1990s first sign replacement, chopsticks added to blue motorway panels on all purpose roads, A6 North and South still primary green, M6 exit signs upgraded to high–intensity reflective materials, blue/white only ;

Lot 3 :– Late 1990s/2000s first lot of Guildford Rules signs on all purpose roads, "Carlisle A6" shown primary, "Chopsticks" and "42" on all motorway panels ;

Lot 4 :– 2010s, second lot of Guildford Rules signs on all purpose roads, "Carlisle A6" now shown non–primary, "Chopsticks" and "42" on all motorway panels, M6 northbound exit slip incorrectly show A6 directions as primary, southbound exit slip not been modernised yet ;

Lot 5 :– 2024/2025, Addition of Carlisle SDR/Southern Bypass – will the A6 panels on the M6 exit slips be correctly coloured white this time?!

. . .Does anybody know of any other conventional Motorway/Dual Carriageway Grade Separated Roundabout Interchanges that will soon be on their fifth lot of direction signs?!

Chris Williams