Road marking for motor cycles on bends

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

wrinkly

Road marking for motor cycles on bends

Post by wrinkly »

Press release on Transport Scotland's website:

https://www.transport.gov.scot/news/new ... -on-bends/
New road markings trialled across the west of Scotland have demonstrated their success in improving the riding behaviour of motorcyclists taking left hand bends.

The markings, called Perceptual Rider Information for Maximising Expertise and Enjoyment (PRIMEs), are designed to help riders make better decisions when approaching bends.

Grounded in the latest academic theory on human factors and applied psychology, also known as 'nudge psychology', PRIMEs consist of new and innovative “gateway” road markings and an associated information signage. They are intended to provide a tool for motorcyclists, ‘priming’ them to adapt their riding on approach to a bend.
swissferry

Re: Road marking for motor cycles on bends

Post by swissferry »

Interesting results. I was sceptical when I first saw them and I'm still surprised they have altered behaviour so much.

Wonder if new signs and/or road markings will be developed taking nudge psychology into account.