Are there any areas that still have mainly non-LED streetlights as of late 2023?

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

RJDG14

Are there any areas that still have mainly non-LED streetlights as of late 2023?

Post by RJDG14 »

Non-LED streetlights have been becoming increasingly rare in the UK over the past few years, with many councils having upgraded nearly all of their stock to LEDs. Are there any areas where there are still a lot of non-LED sodium streelights like there were 5 years ago?

In addition, are there any new streelights being installed today which aren't LED based?
RJDG14

See my Geograph profile here - http://www.geograph.org.uk/profile/74193
The Swindon Files - Swindon's modern history - http://rjdg14.altervista.org/swindon/

----
If I break a policy designed only to protect me and nobody else, have I really broken anything?
Truvelo

Re: Are there any areas that still have mainly non-LED streetlights as of late 2023?

Post by Truvelo »

My street is 95% SOX. It was 100% SOX until last year when one SOX lantern failed as was replaced with PLL. Another one failed and was replaced with LED.
How would you like your grade separations, Sir?
Big and complex.
peter1uk

Re: Are there any areas that still have mainly non-LED streetlights as of late 2023?

Post by peter1uk »

Derby has plenty still.
bothar

Post by bothar »

Not in the UK, but Dublin city has loads of SOX and SON still. Yet Dun Laoghaire-Rathdown is almost all LED, if you fly in at night you can see the difference.
"I intend to always travel a different road"
Ibn Battuta 1304-1368
CallumParry

Post by CallumParry »

In my area of Teesside the A19 Crathorne Interchange is still sodium and parts of County Durham are too but SON/SOX or Mercury are like rare now and I love it when I come across some it's like nostalgic
TB79

Post by TB79 »

Hello everyone, I am a new member of SABRE.

I can confirm there are a few London Boroughs left that are still not predominantly LED, namely Croydon, Lewisham, and Waltham Forest. Croydon and Lewisham have a joint PFI scheme which saw SON Iridiums on main roads and CPO Mini Iridiums on side roads respectively. There are also a few non-LED places outside of London, such as Birmingham, Cambridge, Hampshire, and West Sussex. You’ll also find that certain National Highways owned roads are still clinging onto SON and very occasionally SOX.
Worcestershire Wolf

Post by Worcestershire Wolf »

There still seems to plenty of non-LED stuff around the Isle of Man. The exception is Douglas which seems to have had a mass LED installation programme.
ManomayLR
Assistant Site Manager

Post by ManomayLR »

Truvelo wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 20:21 My street is 95% SOX. It was 100% SOX until last year when one SOX lantern failed as was replaced with PLL. Another one failed and was replaced with LED.
You lucky thing.
Though roads may not put a smile on everyone's face, there is one road that always will: the road to home.