A Layby question.

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Duncan macknight
Committee Member

A Layby question.

Post by Duncan macknight »

The A9 between Perth & Inverness has numbered laybys from 1 at Perth, to 202 at Cromarty Bridge.

Does any other road in the UK have a long distance numbering system like this ?
Truvelo

Re: A Layby question.

Post by Truvelo »

Although not as extensive as the A9 numbering in the early 2000's Herefordshire Council assigned names to most of the laybys on the A465. They were all named after animals. I took this photo in 2002. I have no idea if these signs are still there 22 years on.
Attachments
layby.jpg
How would you like your grade separations, Sir?
Big and complex.
DavidBrown

Post by DavidBrown »

Not numbered, but all the lay-bys on the A361 NDLR between Barnstaple and Tiverton are named.
Truvelo

Post by Truvelo »

DavidBrown wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 19:42 Not numbered, but all the lay-bys on the A361 NDLR between Barnstaple and Tiverton are named.
Like the Herefordshire ones, they contain a really sarky message about littering.
Attachments
layby.jpg
Big and complex.
KeithW

Post by KeithW »

As I recall on the A171 the only named layby is the Flask and that is because the Inn predates the road numbering having been built as a toll road in the 18th century.
https://www.google.com/maps/@54.3931504 ... &entry=ttu

It is only a layby as the road was straightened in the 20th century, there are lots of oxbows on that route - here for example.
https://www.google.com/maps/@54.3896049 ... &entry=ttu
Last edited by KeithW on Tue Jan 02, 2024 20:14, edited 1 time in total.
Owain
Elected Committee Member

Post by Owain »

Truvelo wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 20:33 Although not as extensive as the A9 numbering in the early 2000's Herefordshire Council assigned names to most of the laybys on the A465. They were all named after animals. I took this photo in 2002. I have no idea if these signs are still there 22 years on.
I drove the A465 from Abergavenny to Hereford for the first time ever last spring. I didn't see any animal-themed signage in laybys.
Former President & F99 Driver

Viva la Repubblica!
Truvelo

Post by Truvelo »

Owain wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 20:13 I drove the A465 from Abergavenny to Hereford for the first time ever last spring. I didn't see any animal-themed signage in laybys.
I've looked on GSV and it seems they've been replaced by generic "stop the drop" signs.

This one showed a parrot but is now replaced in the later view.
Last edited by Truvelo on Thu Jan 11, 2024 12:32, edited 1 time in total.
Big and complex.
Owain
Elected Committee Member

Post by Owain »

Truvelo wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 21:13
Owain wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 20:13I drove the A465 from Abergavenny to Hereford for the first time ever last spring. I didn't see any animal-themed signage in laybys.
I've looked on GSV and it seems they've been replaced by generic "stop the drop" signs.

This one showed a parrot by is now replaced in the later view.
You might've thought that in Herefordshire they would've gone for things like Hereford cattle or cider apples, but no - elephants and parrots. :?
Former President & F99 Driver

Viva la Repubblica!
wallmeerkat

Post by wallmeerkat »

Owain wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 23:14
Truvelo wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 21:13
Owain wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 20:13I drove the A465 from Abergavenny to Hereford for the first time ever last spring. I didn't see any animal-themed signage in laybys.

This one showed a parrot by is now replaced in the later view.
You might've thought that in Herefordshire they would've gone for things like Hereford cattle or cider apples, but no - elephants and parrots. :?
I often wonder who the audience is? They appeal to kids but kids are likely to follow their parents - if they tell them not to litter they won't litter, if they don't care the kid won't care. The stereotypical "white van man" having a takeaway lunch isn't going to be swayed by a picture of an elephant or parrot.