‘Dual Carriageway Ahead’ Signs

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Truvelo

Re: ‘Dual Carriageway Ahead’ Signs

Post by Truvelo »

MotorwayGuy wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 19:22 This has to be one of the strangest ones I've come across, and it looks brand new. Looking back it appears they have replaced a very old faded sign with this new one, why it was deemed necessary to replace it and the pole rather than just remove it is a bit baffling, especially none of the other intersecting roads have them or even no entry signs.
I wonder if there was once a plan to extend Royal Esplanade westwards?
How would you like your grade separations, Sir?
Big and complex.
Conekicker

Post by Conekicker »

Truvelo wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 21:16
MotorwayGuy wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 19:22 This has to be one of the strangest ones I've come across, and it looks brand new. Looking back it appears they have replaced a very old faded sign with this new one, why it was deemed necessary to replace it and the pole rather than just remove it is a bit baffling, especially none of the other intersecting roads have them or even no entry signs.
Possibly but the A299 tunnel seems to have superseded any such plans I guess:
https://www.google.com/maps/@51.3281286 ... ?entry=ttu
Patience is not a virtue - it's a concept invented by the dozy beggars who are unable to think quickly enough.
MotorwayGuy

Post by MotorwayGuy »

Conekicker wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 15:27
Truvelo wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 21:16
Possibly but the A299 tunnel seems to have superseded any such plans I guess:
https://www.google.com/maps/@51.3281286 ... ?entry=ttu
It's a strange layout especially how it abruptly ends where it does, but I believe this land was developed in the 30s on the former West Cliff Lodge estate so this makes sense that there could have been an idea to extend it. The problem is you could extend it to join Pegwell Road but there's really no further it could have gone without demolishing what are now a lot of listed buildings, only to have to end up sharply turning to rejoin the London Road anyway. This seems unlikely even by 1930s standards, plus these weird suburban dual carriageways seemed to be something that was often built in new developments of the time just as a feature.
Glenn A

Post by Glenn A »

The signs start 3 miles before the start of the major D2 sections on the A66. Alway nice to see them count down to half a mile when some tractor is causing a massive tailback in summer.