New orange street lighting

Discussion about street lighting, road signs, traffic signals - and all other street furniture - goes here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

haggishunter

New orange street lighting

Post by haggishunter »

Recently a new extension to street lighting from Glencoe Village to the Ballachulish junction on the A82 has been commissioned, having being installed but not switched on for some time. The lighting is visually similar to that which was already heading into Glencoe Village going south, but while like most modern street lighting the pre existing ones are white, the new extended street lighting is orange.

So the question is why and why here?
the dark lord

Re: New orange street lighting

Post by the dark lord »

Can't answer definintively

But perhaps its for bats? Like these red lights?

https://www.worcestershire.gov.uk/news/ ... rolled-out

Near me there is a little listed hamlet of houses. The local council have been installing retrofit LED Sox lamps to their existing legacy stock.
In this little hamlet of houses a Thorn Beta 5 Lamp has been fitted with an LED lamp that gives an orange light rather like a sox lamp.

I THINK it has a filter around the Led lamp, something akin to a stage light filter, i've never been able to decide. I cant decide if it is something the council have done, or something the locals have added. I can only imagine it is to make the light more in keeping historic and less harsh. At first glance you'd assume it was sox.
haggishunter

Post by haggishunter »

the dark lord wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 13:51 Can't answer definintively

But perhaps its for bats?
Interesting, not something I'd thought off - it just seemed a bit random, it wasn't trying to recreate an old style of lighting as it was a new installation with modern lighting columns.

Googling orange street lights and bats brought up this: https://cdn.bats.org.uk/uploads/pdf/Res ... 1542109349
The spectral impacts of light break down
further still; when presented with lights
with a range of colour types, it has been
shown that Plecotus and Myotis species
(slow flying) avoided white and green light
lit areas, but Pipistrellus species (fast
flying) were significantly more abundant
feeding at these lights (Spoelstra et al
2015, 2017). However, both groups were
equally abundant in the red light areas
compared to the dark control, which may
provide options for lighting when
considering mitigation
martinyoung91

Post by martinyoung91 »

DfI have recently installed about 300 of these type of lights along the Comber Greenway in Belfast, again to protect wildlife, specifically bats. They are definitely much more red than orange in the spectrum and couldn't be mistaken for SOX lights.
red_led_1.jpg