Shrewsbury opening dates

Found anything interesting on "The Roader's Digest" - the SABRE Wiki? Talk about articles in here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Ross Spur

Shrewsbury opening dates

Post by Ross Spur »

I'm trying to narrow down the opening date for Robertson Way and Bage Way, the interim A49 North-South bypass (now A5112). It's on the 1990 OS Road Atlas but not on the 1986 Philips Road Atlas. Has anyone the following OS 1:50000 maps to check the picture?

A/* (3/87)
A2 (12/89)

Telford Way opened in 1964.
Ian
rileyrob

Re: Shrewsbury opening dates

Post by rileyrob »

It's shown in green in the 1988 Readers Digest book.
Rob.
My mission is to travel every road and visit every town, village and hamlet in the British Isles.
I don't like thinking about how badly I am doing.
owen b

Post by owen b »

I was hopeful I might have one of those but it turns out I've got the 1986 OS 1:50,000 (A with an underscore and an asterisk, "Revised 1983 Selected revision 1986", "Reprinted with major changes") which shows neither of those roads.

I've also got a 1990 Collins road atlas (published September 1989) and a 1990 AA road atlas (October 1989), both of which show both roads.
Owen
Truvelo

Post by Truvelo »

Late 80s from memory. I remember it opening only a few years before the outer bypass. I could never see the point of this road really as the outer bypass was planned in the 70s so it would always be redundant in the future.
How would you like your grade separations, Sir?
Big and complex.
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

owen b wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 21:11 I was hopeful I might have one of those but it turns out I've got the 1986 OS 1:50,000 (A with an underscore and an asterisk, "Revised 1983 Selected revision 1986", "Reprinted with major changes") which shows neither of those roads.
That's what I also have. I can't see anywhere where it mentions 3/87, but isn't it nevertheless the same as the first of the two the OP was asking about? He was using a slash to represent the underscore (as seems usual in lists of maps in the Wiki).
owen b

Post by owen b »

wrinkly wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 18:14
owen b wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 21:11 I was hopeful I might have one of those but it turns out I've got the 1986 OS 1:50,000 (A with an underscore and an asterisk, "Revised 1983 Selected revision 1986", "Reprinted with major changes") which shows neither of those roads.
That's what I also have. I can't see anywhere where it mentions 3/87, but isn't it nevertheless the same as the first of the two the OP was asking about? He was using a slash to represent the underscore (as seems usual in lists of maps in the Wiki).
Ummm..... you may well be right, I don't know..... I'm not an expert on OS map revision codes :oops: .

I've now found yet another road atlas in my collection, this time a 1989 "St.Michael" third edition, first impression, published by Hamlyn, using OS mapping, which shows both roads. In fact it looks like it was a hurried and bodged update to the map as the old route is still shown as an A road criss-crossing the new route.
Owen
Ross Spur

Post by Ross Spur »

wrinkly wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 18:14
Yes, it's the map I was after. The 3/87 is the publication date as per the excellent lists on Lez Watson's site at https://www.watsonlv.net/pdf/50k.pdf . Thanks for the revision details.

Opening dates would be between 1987 and 1989 unless anything else comes to light.
Ian
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

Ross Spur wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 21:41 Yes, it's the map I was after. The 3/87 is the publication date as per the excellent lists on Lez Watson's site at https://www.watsonlv.net/pdf/50k.pdf .
It's an interesting observation that an OS map does not necessarily show the date of its actual publication. I never realised that before.
Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator

Post by Steven »

wrinkly wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 13:42
Ross Spur wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 21:41 Yes, it's the map I was after. The 3/87 is the publication date as per the excellent lists on Lez Watson's site at https://www.watsonlv.net/pdf/50k.pdf .
It's an interesting observation that an OS map does not necessarily show the date of its actual publication. I never realised that before.
Yep, it's exactly why we have big tables of SABRE Maps Coverage Projects on the Wiki. What people think might be the date of a map might be many years away from it - copyright dates were only incremented on full revisions until 1979, so partial revisions would carry a copyright date from years before. It's how we have a number of 1974 OS One Inch maps on SABRE Maps.
Steven
Motorway Historian

Founder Member, SABRE ex-Presidents' Corner

Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!

trigpoint

Post by trigpoint »

Truvelo wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 21:56 Late 80s from memory. I remember it opening only a few years before the outer bypass. I could never see the point of this road really as the outer bypass was planned in the 70s so it would always be redundant in the future.
Certainly redundant for long distance through traffic, but an important link between different parts of the town.

The town centre roads are narrow and crowded so not practical as the link between the south-east and north/north west of the town.

When travelling from Asda to Morrisons I doubt many would choose to use the outer bypass.

https://www.openstreetmap.org/direction ... 78/-2.7176