Ordnance Survey and Geological Survey maps from Newcastle University

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Rob590

Ordnance Survey and Geological Survey maps from Newcastle University

Post by Rob590 »

Hello

Is anyone interested in a collection of print Ordnance Survey and Geological Survey maps from Newcastle University? I've attached a brief description of the collection, which is being disposed of this month. We (I work at the university) have been asked if we are interested in taking any. I'm not, but if anyone from SABRE is and wants to arrange to come and look at the collection then let me know - ideally within the next few days so that I can arrange a viewing.

Alternatively, if you can't visit but know what maps you want, I could arrange to see myself if we have them and I can gather them for later collection.

Local maps - that includes Tyne and Wear, Cumbria, Durham, Northumberland and the Borders - are not being disposed of, but everything else is up for grabs as far as I know.
Attachments
L4_Map_Collection_Hints.pdf
(319.59 KiB) Downloaded 86 times
Gav

Re: Ordnance Survey and Geological Survey maps from Newcastle University

Post by Gav »

That would be useful, but how many are we talking about and what would storage be like ? would it fit in a car ?

dates are they current or historical ?
KeithW

Post by KeithW »

The attachment to the original post contains details.

Some may be historical , I am no expert but I suggest many are still be under copyright.
Last edited by KeithW on Wed Jan 10, 2024 12:15, edited 1 time in total.
Ritchie333
SABRE Developer

Post by Ritchie333 »

I suspect Steven might want the lot. He's got the capacity for them and has gathered several public library's collections already.
--
SABRE Maps - all the best maps in one place....
M4 Cardiff

Post by M4 Cardiff »

I would be interested in the geological maps. Can you let me know how many, how much space for these?
Driving thrombosis caused this accident......a clot behind the wheel.
nowster
Treasurer

Post by nowster »

The "one inch" maps are going to be out of copyright. They're probably flat maps according to the description.

The 1:50K maps are standard folded Landranger maps. There appear to be a few town plans at 1:10K.

The PDF doesn't give any idea as to the quantity of maps being disposed of.
Rob590

Post by Rob590 »

I'll arrange to see if I can visit next week and get a better sense of what the set looks like, and the numbers, noting the requests already made.
Nathan_A_RF

Post by Nathan_A_RF »

I'd be happy to take any Ordnance Survey folded maps but unfortunately I cannot collect! Shame, I hope they find a good home.
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

If you could find out quantities, or, if they've got an inventory of exactly what they're disposing of, that'd be helpful. From the society's perspective, Steven needs to weigh in - I'm happy to assist with collection/transfer of them when I'm travelling around the country if we need them.
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps
Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator

Post by Steven »

c2R wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 21:27 If you could find out quantities, or, if they've got an inventory of exactly what they're disposing of, that'd be helpful. From the society's perspective, Steven needs to weigh in - I'm happy to assist with collection/transfer of them when I'm travelling around the country if we need them.
Yes, SABRE is missing a only a few individual sheets for SABRE Maps now, and I personally have little space left to store in - so definitely for SABRE itself we need to be a little picky and choosy. For example, we're missing only two individual revisions of the One Inch Seventh Series, and only six rebisions in the Quarter Inch Fifth Series. We are missing quite a few early Scottish 1:50k/Landrangers though.

The current status of SABRE's holdings and whether they appear on SABRE Maps can always be found on the SABRE Maps/Coverage projects pages

I would also hope that given they're being offered out on SABRE that anyone who does take advantage of this would be polite enough to offer scans of these maps back to SABRE...

And a word of advice to anyone who does pick any up - flat maps are bigger than you expect, and a pile of them weigh a lot more than you might expect!
Steven
Motorway Historian

Founder Member, SABRE ex-Presidents' Corner

Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!

From the SABRE Wiki: SABRE Maps/Coverage projects :

SABRE Maps keeps track of the maps contained upon it as well as the pipelines of maps not yet released within what we call Coverage Projects.

Within them is kept specific information around the map types, such as how they can be dated, as well as tables showing the current coverage of that map type.

Each Coverage Project contains information about the map series contained within; information regarding the projection(s) used; how to date any maps in that series; and a large table

... Read More
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

Did you manage to see what there was available in terms of the folded maps, even if it is in terms of approximate numbers and the sorts of date ranges?
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps