Dalhousie Bridge collapse 1960s?

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

rileyrob

Dalhousie Bridge collapse 1960s?

Post by rileyrob »

The 1965 edition of the OS One Inch map shows an intriguing gap in the B704 at Dalhousie Bridge: https://www.sabre-roads.org.uk/maps/ind ... 4&layer=36
Does anyone know the history here? The implication is that the bridge collapsed or was washed out, but I haven't managed to find anything online about it. The current bridge is first shown on the 1:2500 sheet from 1968, the 1:10,000 sheet from the year before still shows the old bridge, but it was updated in 1965 and published in 1967, perhaps explaining why.

It is perhaps ironic that the current bridge is now subject to a 7.5T weight limit and single lane running.
Rob.
My mission is to travel every road and visit every town, village and hamlet in the British Isles.
I don't like thinking about how badly I am doing.

From the SABRE Wiki: Dalhousie Bridge :

Dalhousie Bridge carries the B704 over the River South Esk to the south of Bonnyrigg in Midlothian. It is a substantial, modern three-span concrete arch bridge built to a cantilever style where the central arch is supported by two half arches on either bank. The northern span crosses an estate road for Dalhousie Castle, which is actually the former alignment of the B704. The

... Read More