M6 Junction 21a to 26 smart motorway

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

domcoop

Re: M6 Junction 21a to 26 smart motorway

Post by domcoop »

As has been mentioned on the Smart Motorways thread, this project, due for completion in "Spring" 2023, is now continuing until "Spring" 2025(!)

One thing I've noticed is the gantry immediately south of Haydock J23 looks wrong. The four boxes left for the signals above each lane look far too much to the left. You can't really see it on my photos, but at this location, there is a maintenance depot or something that is just off the motorway and a short slip road for service vehicles to enter and exit. So - prior to the roadworks - there were four lanes plus hard shoulder here (three running lanes, the slip road, and the hard shoulder). But they seem to have put the gantry to start over what was the slip road. So a space to the left (where the old slip road hard shoulder was), then four lanes, and another lane left empty on the right!

Perhaps the plan is to slew all four lanes over to the left, and just leave dead space near the central reservation, although why they'd do that I'm unsure? Or have they just messed up!?

Here's two pictures from a recent journey and a streetview of the old layout.
1706484034542.jpg
1706484034535.jpg
Screenshot from 2024-01-28 23-38-21.png
Dominic