The M77 extension

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

AndyB
Elected Committee Member

Re: The M77 extension

Post by AndyB »

Other things to do to speed driving the A75 up: take a detour for lunch in Wigtown and nosey round the bookshops. In each direction, it means you are only suffering from lorries west of Newtown Stewart.

Sure, it takes more time, but it’s worth it for a bookworm like me.
Glenn A

Post by Glenn A »

AndyB wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 16:05 Other things to do to speed driving the A75 up: take a detour for lunch in Wigtown and nosey round the bookshops. In each direction, it means you are only suffering from lorries west of Newtown Stewart.

Don't forget the Aviation Museum about a mile from the Dumfries by pass. Last time I was there, they had a Spitfire that had been rescued from a loch and Rudolf Hess's flying glasses, if that kind of thing interests you.
wallmeerkat

Post by wallmeerkat »

Glenn A wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 19:18
AndyB wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 16:05 Other things to do to speed driving the A75 up: take a detour for lunch in Wigtown and nosey round the bookshops. In each direction, it means you are only suffering from lorries west of Newtown Stewart.

Don't forget the Aviation Museum about a mile from the Dumfries by pass. Last time I was there, they had a Spitfire that had been rescued from a loch and Rudolf Hess's flying glasses, if that kind of thing interests you.
Took a diversion to Castle Douglas, found what I thought was a layby, stopped to get my bearings, got shouted at as it's a coach stop, see the sign

https://www.google.com/maps/@54.9423836 ... ?entry=ttu

Went to the petrol station across the road, got snacks, used the facility.

On the way back stopped for lunch at Lockards Farm Dumfries. Nice friendly spot, family friendly activities, though at that point in the summer there seemed a lot of flies

https://www.google.com/maps/@55.0758834 ... ?entry=ttu