A30 New Camera Type ?

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

thesmallcheese

A30 New Camera Type ?

Post by thesmallcheese »

New member here, however long time reader of Sabre Roads!

I was travelling eastbound on the a30 yesterday towards Exeter, and at around 6 miles from the M5 I spotted a yellow camera of a type I’ve not noticed before. This was on the junction for Tedburn.

It was on a fairly tall pole, yellow, and small, dome shaped, and looked to have more than one camera on it. The pole was not yellow. The diameter of the camera can’t have been much more than the pole.

I’ve consulted google but cannot find photos of the camera I saw.

I know there have been trials on the a30 of a mobile phone offence camera but assume these wouldn’t need to be yellow.

I didn’t notice if old style camera which I think used to be there, was still there or not.

Any ideas? I’m just curious - I was travelling at 70 on cruise control and not using my phone!!!
Big L
Deputy Site Manager

Re: A30 New Camera Type ?

Post by Big L »

Make poetry history.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Help with maps using the new online calibrator.
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki.
Hdeng16

Post by Hdeng16 »

In the summer there was a temporary camera that was a mobile offence (and other) camera in that area
thesmallcheese

Post by thesmallcheese »

Big L wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 18:50 This kind of thing?
Not quite - the dome shaped part wasn’t hanging down, it was on top the pole - it was shaped like an old school blue flashing light on a police car!
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

Was the domed part white? If so it could be a stopped vehicle detection system, though I’d be a little surprised to hear about them being rolled out anywhere much beyond Smart Motorways.
techdan2002

Post by techdan2002 »

It's a Vector digital speed camera to replace the old GATSO that was there. It went up at the start of December.