A30 Carland Cross Chiverton Cross

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

IAN

Re: A30 Carland Cross Chiverton Cross

Post by IAN »

RichardEvans67 wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 23:44 Not construction related, but at 16:51 is an old yellow car, I think it's a cortina. Just something you don't see much these days.
Interesting, a car from my childhood. GKC217L - MKIII Cortina registered February 1973, which according to the DVLA hasn't had an MOT since 2016!
AKA M5 Driver
Ruperts Trooper

Post by Ruperts Trooper »

IAN wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 13:44
RichardEvans67 wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 23:44 Not construction related, but at 16:51 is an old yellow car, I think it's a cortina. Just something you don't see much these days.
Interesting, a car from my childhood. GKC217L - MKIII Cortina registered February 1973, which according to the DVLA hasn't had an MOT since 2016!
At that age, over 40 years old, the MoT is voluntary.
Lifelong motorhead
RichardEvans67

Post by RichardEvans67 »

https://nationalhighways.co.uk/a30chiverton/
There will be a weekend closure of the A30 between Boxheater and Scorrier from Friday 9 February at 8pm until Monday 12 February at 6am.
One of the things they say, is that there will be a traffic switch at Trevalso. Since recent videos seemed to show the bridge almost done, I wonder whether they will switch traffic back to the old A30.

The following weekend is the turn of the A390
There will be a weekend closure of the northern section of the A390 between the Chiverton interchange and Penstraze Lane from Friday 16 February at 7pm until Monday 19 February at 6am.
There doesn't seem to be any indication of what that one is for.
techdan2002

Post by techdan2002 »

The following weekend is the turn of the A390
There will be a weekend closure of the northern section of the A390 between the Chiverton interchange and Penstraze Lane from Friday 16 February at 7pm until Monday 19 February at 6am.
There doesn't seem to be any indication of what that one is for.
https://mcusercontent.com/1d4eb632df7c9 ... y_2024.pdf
As part of the work to resurface and construct the road to its final surface level, we will be closing a section of the A390 from 7pm on Friday 16 February until 6am on Monday 19 February.
BF2142

Post by BF2142 »

Cars can avoid that massive diversion by leaving the A390 at Threemilestone and head towards Chacewater and then Scorrier.
RichardEvans67

Post by RichardEvans67 »

BF2142 wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 13:06 Cars can avoid that massive diversion by leaving the A390 at Threemilestone and head towards Chacewater and then Scorrier.
Yep. Although it gets rather narrow through Chasewater.
https://www.google.com/maps/@50.2566261 ... ?entry=ttu
So if they gridlocked it by making it the official diversion, somebody would presumably be in trouble. If locals know better, then that is their business. Perhaps another possible route for some locals, would be from Truro, up to Chybucca.
adam 1972

Post by adam 1972 »

I always use Chybucca now to head west, I live near Truro rail station and it works out quicker as it avoids the congestion at Highertown & Treliske, and now the flyover is open its a breeze not having to interact with Chiverton roundabout, and I'll go that way once the D2 is open.
Gaz909909

Post by Gaz909909 »

Absolutely - that's the way to go and you'll be 70mph from Chybucca. You'll also miss all of the whole A390 debacle which actually didn't exist 15 years ago. That road used to be a pleasure up to Chivvy years ago!
adam 1972

Post by adam 1972 »

When I first moved to Cornwall in 1986 the A390 was hardly busy at all, and that was with the Blackwater bypass in the middle of construction, plus there was no Sainsburys & no traffic lights from Tregolls rd all the way to Chivvy, which was a much smaller roundabout back then.

The B3284 apart from going out of Truro and through Shortlanesend is 60 mph, your lucky to do 5 mph along Highertown some days.

The new layout at Chybucca makes it so much easier to get to Perranporth too, the old junction was quite dangerous
RichardEvans67

Post by RichardEvans67 »

https://www.google.com/maps/@50.3171286 ... ?entry=ttu

Just noticed, on Google maps, it says the road under Two Burrows bridge is closed until Dec 2024. Surely that can't be right, can it?
IAN

Post by IAN »

RichardEvans67 wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 20:02 https://www.google.com/maps/@50.3171286 ... ?entry=ttu

Just noticed, on Google maps, it says the road under Two Burrows bridge is closed until Dec 2024. Surely that can't be right, can it?
On one.network several roads on the route are stated as being closed until 1st December 2024! That's very unlikely but it appears that the same date has been used for all the closures as it's not certain when reopening will be. https://one.network/uk
AKA M5 Driver
RichardEvans67

Post by RichardEvans67 »

https://www.falmouthpacket.co.uk/news/2 ... iversions/
Work this coming weekend will involve drainage, central reservation work, barrier construction, structural construction across various locations of the scheme, and a traffic switch at Trevalso, where motorists will transfer on to a section of the new dual carriageway.
It surprises me that they say the traffic will transfer to a new section of dual at Trevalso. Why would they do this unless it was to open a whole section east or west or Trevalso. I didn't think either section would be ready yet. Even if they were, I don't see how that would help the construction.

Perhaps they know something I don't, or perhaps they don't know what they are talking about. I suspect the latter. It would make more sense to me to transfer traffic back to the old A30, now that presumably the bridge is ready. This piece of road would need to become that way anyway, so that it can become the LAR. This would then allow them to finalise the stretch of new D2.

Well hopefully we will see what they actually do.
RichardEvans67

Post by RichardEvans67 »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cornwall-68213977
Neil Winter, National Highways' senior project manager for the A30 scheme, said: "We appreciate the closures will have an impact on people's journeys, but after this latest phase of work, motorists will only see a slight difference at Trevalso.
I think something from the BBC is probably a bit more reliable. So a change at Trevalso, but only a slight change. Now I'm leaning towards thinking perhaps a switch from the WB carriageway to either the EB carriageway or a D1. My thinking is that the current haul route is in the way of connecting the lane through the bridge, and possibly some other things. Such a switch would allow the haul route to use the WB carriageway instead. Hence allowing the lane to be connected.
IAN

Post by IAN »

This drive-through, uploaded four days ago is a bit different.

First ten minutes is Chiverton to Chybucca and back, then driving on various nearby roads. From 29 mins a look at the works by Allet, where unfortunately he doesn't get quite close enough to have the best view, 38 mins he's at the site of the old Chiverton roundabout. The photographer is rather negative about the project, he doesn't seem to realise that the closed roads will be reconnected when the work is finished - Probably best viewed with the sound down!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcs3QB0 ... xploration
AKA M5 Driver
RichardEvans67

Post by RichardEvans67 »

IAN wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 10:42 The photographer is rather negative about the project, he doesn't seem to realise that the closed roads will be reconnected when the work is finished - Probably best viewed with the sound down!
I suppose it may be hard to know, if you haven't already found the plans. But it seems a lot of YouTubers don't worry about assuming things when they don't actually know. That's a disadvantage of letting anyone upload stuff. Also I wonder whether he considered that some music is copyrighted. Hummm....

Also not a good look that he kept mistaking the old A30 with the old Newquew road. But at least he later admitted that he had got that wrong.

One bit that was useful at Allett lane. Several times you could spot the new D2 going over the bridge. I paused it several times to look at that. Well into the final stages it would seem. A big advance from July 2023 :
https://www.google.com/maps/@50.3041589 ... ?entry=ttu

Also he doesn't seem to like solar farms.
RichardLP

Post by RichardLP »

RichardEvans67 wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 20:13 https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cornwall-68213977
Neil Winter, National Highways' senior project manager for the A30 scheme, said: "We appreciate the closures will have an impact on people's journeys, but after this latest phase of work, motorists will only see a slight difference at Trevalso.
I think something from the BBC is probably a bit more reliable. So a change at Trevalso, but only a slight change. Now I'm leaning towards thinking perhaps a switch from the WB carriageway to either the EB carriageway or a D1. My thinking is that the current haul route is in the way of connecting the lane through the bridge, and possibly some other things. Such a switch would allow the haul route to use the WB carriageway instead. Hence allowing the lane to be connected.
I asked the comms team about the change at Trevalso and got the foloowing reply:

"Thank you for your email on Friday 2 February 2024 regarding the forthcoming Traffic switch at Trevalso.

This weekend coming the 9-12 February we will be switching the A30 mainline back onto the old A30 its original route to allow us to continue completion of the Trevalso underbridge.

Trevalso lane will be extended to a new bell mouth junction opposite Henver Lane Cottage.

Access into Zelah from the old A30 will remain closed for now until the new underbridge is open in the spring."
RichardEvans67

Post by RichardEvans67 »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p0h9srmd

Another Radio interview about the scheme. Dated 8th Feb, so I don't know why it only came up on google today.
RichardEvans67

Post by RichardEvans67 »

RichardLP wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 09:28
I asked the comms team about the change at Trevalso and got the foloowing reply:

"Thank you for your email on Friday 2 February 2024 regarding the forthcoming Traffic switch at Trevalso.

This weekend coming the 9-12 February we will be switching the A30 mainline back onto the old A30 its original route to allow us to continue completion of the Trevalso underbridge.

Trevalso lane will be extended to a new bell mouth junction opposite Henver Lane Cottage.

Access into Zelah from the old A30 will remain closed for now until the new underbridge is open in the spring."
So it looks like web pages got it wrong when they said transferring to a new section of dual carriageway. This explains most of it, although there a bit of detail where I'm a little confused.

They still hope to have the D2 open at the end of March. The link to Travalso can't really go across the live D2. So does that mean it will need to close again for a while. Between the D2 opening and the underbridge opening.

Also they say access to Zelah from the old A30, will be when the new underbridge is open. Although I don't really see what the bridge has to do with this, as that access is not via the bridge.
RichardLP

Post by RichardLP »

RichardEvans67 wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 16:50
RichardLP wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 09:28

So it looks like web pages got it wrong when they said transferring to a new section of dual carriageway. This explains most of it, although there a bit of detail where I'm a little confused.

They still hope to have the D2 open at the end of March. The link to Travalso can't really go across the live D2. So does that mean it will need to close again for a while. Between the D2 opening and the underbridge opening.

Also they say access to Zelah from the old A30, will be when the new underbridge is open. Although I don't really see what the bridge has to do with this, as that access is not via the bridge.
I was also told during a phone call that the Pennycomequick underpass would open at the end of April, at which time access via Trevalso Lane would end in order to complete the underpass access to Zelah. In other words the intention was to ensure that they would not close both at the same time.

However, I'm confident that the PCQ underpass will not meet that deadline and that they will end up preventing access from both PCQ and Trevalso Lane shortly.
RichardLP

Post by RichardLP »

RichardLP wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 17:11 However, I'm confident that the PCQ underpass will not meet that deadline and that they will end up preventing access from both PCQ and Trevalso Lane shortly.
Well the second part of my prediction came true even sooner than I expected. Here is an email I have just received:

"Thank you for your email on 5 February 2024 regarding the Traffic switch at Trevalso Traffic switch at Trevalso.

I must apologise as I provided you with incorrect information in my last email. The bell mouth we have created on the current old A30 is actually for a works entrance and not for a temporary access entrance to Trevalso Lane.

We will be providing a limited access to Trevalso Lane using the new underpass, however this will be for farming equipment access only, which is not able to be taken out via the rest of Trevalso Lane from Trevalso Farm southwards due in no small part to the tightness and age of the lane, which was never intended for Modern farming equipment and practices.

We also have to complete the rest of the southern side of the structure now we have re aligned the traffic back onto the old A30 and complete the construction of Tank 6 a water surface run off baffle tank to slow run off into the local stream. This tank will require the temporary use of part of Trevalso Lane during construction.

The lane will not be open and completed until later in the spring May or June dependent on weather related progress.".