A13 in Dagenham reduced 40 to 30 mph

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

WHBM

Re: A13 in Dagenham reduced 40 to 30 mph

Post by WHBM »

The only practical solution to the works seems to be to close off the junction completely, and run the A13 straight through freeflow at ground level, while working in the middle, meanwhile joining Lodge Avenue and Ripple Road up on the north side without a junction. Considerable inconvenience to local traffic but keeps the A13 flow (which is pretty saturated all day long) off local roads.

I would presume that the DBFO have detailed plans of how to do it. Goodness knows where the works compound will be, although not that dissimilar to what was done further west at the Prince Regent Lane junction in Newham underpass construction around 2000, with an elongated longabout and works in the middle.

Actually an interesting design challenge. I wonder if they are looking for a works designer ... :)
Runwell

Post by Runwell »

The problem with that might be that there are often long queues heading up Lodge Avenue to the Woodward Road traffic lights, which regularly causes queues back on to the A13 roundabout, sometimes blocking the roundabout and even going back up the A13 slip roads on to the main carriageway. I suppose you could get traffic coming off from the inbound A13 to do a 180 at Movers Lane and come back, but that would cause even more overload.
qwertyK

Post by qwertyK »

Heard on local FB today (don't quote me) that this is due to be replaced soon. Can't see anything online though.

Didn't there used to be a carbon copy of this further west at Movers Lane? I think lorries were banned from it and had to use the roundabout, the flyover was single carriageway
Scratchwood

Post by Scratchwood »

Are they waiting for the Silvertown Tunnel to be completed before starting this, as currently when there are southbound Blackwall tunnel closures, a lot of traffic will divert along the A13 to the Dartford crossing?