Least used A road in each county?

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

multiraider2

Re: Least used A road in each county?

Post by multiraider2 »

Of course the A39 is currently closed West of Hillsford Bridge and South of Lynmouth until 28 March. The B3223 is currently the only way in and out, save for some C/U road links. I hope they aren't counting now.
ForestChav
SABRE Developer

Post by ForestChav »

DavidBrown wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 09:40
ForestChav wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 22:06 There's certainly a sensible argument for making the A39 between Barnstaple and the M5 at Bridgwater into a B road. For those after numbering continuity here, the NDLR could become the A39 and make the A361 to Ilfracombe an extension of the A399.
Barnstaple to Minehead, yes I can understand (indeed, as a main road across Exmoor, I think the B3358/B3223 route via Simonsbath, although still quiet in terms of traffic levels, serves its role of connecting isolated communities far better than the A39). But Minehead to Bridgwater is very much not only deserving of its A-road status, but completely and utterly inadequate as it is. Minehead to the A358 at Williton has traffic figures of 12-15k, and yet only Dunster has seen any form of road improvements, with traffic still squeezing its way through the other villages as it probably did 100 years ago.

I do love the novelty of A39 at Watersmeet, especially as at one point it literally just becomes a pay and display car park. I wonder what time of year the traffic count was taken, as I suspect its summer figure will be many multiples of its winter figure.
Of course the reason for suggesting the M5 as a break point in the number is that there are of course sections of the A39 either side of this which are much better quality and wouldn't need renumbering as well (e.g. if the A39 was retained as far as Minehead then renumbered west of that, then you'd need to do the section from Bude as well) so if following the A39 number from the East then at the M5 junction traffic would be advised to turn onto the M5 (or use the A38) as far as Tiverton where the current A361 would then become A39 to Barnstaple as a much higher quality route (and much more deserving of a 2 digit number).

You would then end the A361 where it meets the A39 to the east of the M5 around Street/Glastonbury/Wells (can't remember exactly how it looks there without checking a map).

It might be worth making certainly as far as Dunster an A-road but probably not the A39 as it would be a bit untidy to see it stop there and then resume somewhere unrelated, though A-roads ending in coastal towns wouldn't be anomalous as the A52 does the same thing. In a sense the number of A396 could be pulled from Dunster along the A39 to Bridgwater or the A358 could be extended to the coast but then you'd need to do something else east of it.

You're right about how unimproved a lot of the roads are though, we were down there on hols a few years back and still going through villages etc. Getting to places like Minehead and Tiverton which weren't particularly far still took a while because you can't go particularly fast on them. The route via Simonsbath from recollection wasn't too bad but I'd not consider diverting the A39 onto it. I know it doesn't but having a 2 digit number does imply subconsciously some bias in terms of quality and nothing in the area is really up to it.
C, E flat and G go into a bar. The barman says "sorry, we don't serve minors". So E flat walks off, leaving C and G to share an open fifth between them.

Never argue with an idiot. They will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
rileyrob

Post by rileyrob »

The A39 between Bridgwater and Dunster has, of course, seen some improvements over the years. The Cannington bypass is relatively new, the Nether Stowey bypass somewhat older, and there are numerous other junction improvements and widened stretches. The general point that there are long stretches that are still a narrow winding country lane is fairly accurate though!

If the A39 were to be diverted onto the North Devon Link Road, it would probably make sense to divert it onto the A361 at Ashcott, so the A361 would terminate in Glastonbury, or be sent to Dunball across the Poldens. The Quantock section of the A39 could become an extension of the A396, and the Exmoor section the A358, the two routes multiplexing between Williton and Dunster, and as suggested above the rump of the A361 to Ilfracombe could be the A399.

I also agree that the B3224 route across the Brendon Hills and Exmoor is a fantastic route. I've probably not driven it for 16 or 17 years, but it used to be empty and fast while all the tourists pootled along the coast. Wheddon Cross and Exford are a couple of bottlenecks, and I think there are a couple of steeper hills, but otherwise it could become an A road to speed traffic to North Devon? Maybe even divert the A358 this way, and leave the A39 through Porlock and Lynton to be a B road (plenty of numbers already in use nearby to cover this). Minehead would then need an A3xxx number for its connection.
Rob.
My mission is to travel every road and visit every town, village and hamlet in the British Isles.
I don't like thinking about how badly I am doing.
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

multiraider2 wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 14:19 The CSV files are hard to interpret, but sorting by lowest to highest by column AE the first roads that appear in Surrey are the are the A3100 (which I would find hard to believe as its always busy going into Guildford centre from the A3 and the Guildford to Godalming Road ditto) and the A283 (the Milford to Shoreham Road) which would be more believable to me.
A3100 is a surprise. My guess would have been the A248 near Shalford, I think, but maybe it’s too near suburban Guildford.
ForestChav
SABRE Developer

Post by ForestChav »

rileyrob wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 14:18 The A39 between Bridgwater and Dunster has, of course, seen some improvements over the years. The Cannington bypass is relatively new, the Nether Stowey bypass somewhat older, and there are numerous other junction improvements and widened stretches. The general point that there are long stretches that are still a narrow winding country lane is fairly accurate though!

If the A39 were to be diverted onto the North Devon Link Road, it would probably make sense to divert it onto the A361 at Ashcott, so the A361 would terminate in Glastonbury, or be sent to Dunball across the Poldens. The Quantock section of the A39 could become an extension of the A396, and the Exmoor section the A358, the two routes multiplexing between Williton and Dunster, and as suggested above the rump of the A361 to Ilfracombe could be the A399.

I also agree that the B3224 route across the Brendon Hills and Exmoor is a fantastic route. I've probably not driven it for 16 or 17 years, but it used to be empty and fast while all the tourists pootled along the coast. Wheddon Cross and Exford are a couple of bottlenecks, and I think there are a couple of steeper hills, but otherwise it could become an A road to speed traffic to North Devon? Maybe even divert the A358 this way, and leave the A39 through Porlock and Lynton to be a B road (plenty of numbers already in use nearby to cover this). Minehead would then need an A3xxx number for its connection.
The A39 reaches the M5 already at Dunball of course so there wouldn't be any need to renumber anything east of there if that situation happened.

The A361 south of the A39 could stay how it is. I don't see there's much benefit in that case from sending the A39 along it. It doesn't seem to be any better in terms of quality, and then also just ends on the A38 near Taunton with no direct motorway connection, which would dump those using it because it's the A39 onto the A38 then into Taunton to get to the motorway, which they would all have to do. It wouldn't be as tidy as sending it down the motorway (for permitted traffic) and breaks in A roads to follow motorways are common in other routes (A30, A38, A34, A616, A43 for example).

I guess if one were to divert the A39 to the A38 at Taunton, then the A39 from Ashcott could be renumbered A361... And could then continue along the existing A39 over the coast into Barnstaple then back out to Ilfracombe... It would be a bit odd at the western end though, but then the numbering around there has changed a lot... When we first started going to North Devon when I was a small kid the NDLR hadn't (just) opened and that was when the A361 used the B3227 from Taunton to South Molton then the old road paralleling the NDLR through Swimbridge, Landkey and Newport, which must have been a bit of a slog in comparison. And then there's the more recent renumbering with the western bypass at Barnstaple. The section around Watersmeet and Porlock probably isn't good enough to be an A road at all though.
C, E flat and G go into a bar. The barman says "sorry, we don't serve minors". So E flat walks off, leaving C and G to share an open fifth between them.

Never argue with an idiot. They will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
DavidBrown

Post by DavidBrown »

I know we're going massively off topic here with fantasy renumbering, but here's what I'd do;
- East of the M5 to Glastonbury/Street remains as is.
- The NDLR takes the A39 number, leaving the A361 to terminate on the A38 north of Taunton.
- Bridgwater to Minehead can take the unused A398 number.
- The A39 from Minehead to Lynton becomes a B road. I'd say Lynton to Barnstaple is just about significant enough to justify staying as an A-road, in which case it can become an extension of the A3125 from Barnstaple.
- The A399 takes over the current A3123 and B3343 into Woolacombe, with the current A399 through Combe Martin becoming an extension of the B3229.
- The A3123 number is then used as the cross-Exmoor route via Simonsbath and Wheddon Cross.
- The A361 from Barnstaple to Ilfracombe becomes an extension of the A377, which currently terminates literally a few hundred yards away in Barnstaple anyway.
AndyB
Elected Committee Member

Post by AndyB »

In the 1980s, the least used A road in the UK was the A26(NI) at Killead. It was closed for security reasons in the late 70s or early 80s - for many years and possibly still today it was subject to a “No vehicles” Control Zone order - and has never reopened because it was too close to the end of the runway.

The A26 now runs over the former B101 into Antrim. The only traffic over the closed section approaches from the airport end to use an emergency gate into the airfield.

There may be other roads which are officially parts of Class I roads but which in practical terms are permanently closed to traffic for security purposes.
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

AndyB wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 18:37 In the 1980s, the least used A road in the UK was the A26(NI) at Killead. It was closed for security reasons in the late 70s or early 80s - for many years and possibly still today it was subject to a “No vehicles” Control Zone order - and has never reopened because it was too close to the end of the runway.

The A26 now runs over the former B101 into Antrim. The only traffic over the closed section approaches from the airport end to use an emergency gate into the airfield.

There may be other roads which are officially parts of Class I roads but which in practical terms are permanently closed to traffic for security purposes.
Market Street in central Manchester is still officially the A6 and will have a motorised vehicle count of 0 as it's a permanent pedestrian zone and has been since the late 1980s. It's hard to think there ever was a four lane one way street thundering through there once upon a time.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
Graham

Post by Graham »

Bryn666 wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 21:58 I'm surprised the A39 through Watersmeet is that busy but then again the NT site is there - it certainly won't be through traffic given the much more direct B road that branches off earlier.
There will be some through traffic - eg Lynmouth to Simonsbath - and it is the natural alternative route for any vehicle that does not fancy the steep hill on the shorter route.
ForestChav
SABRE Developer

Post by ForestChav »

Graham wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 15:56
Bryn666 wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 21:58 I'm surprised the A39 through Watersmeet is that busy but then again the NT site is there - it certainly won't be through traffic given the much more direct B road that branches off earlier.
There will be some through traffic - eg Lynmouth to Simonsbath - and it is the natural alternative route for any vehicle that does not fancy the steep hill on the shorter route.
Plus people using the car park to walk around the valley or into Lynmouth or something like that - I've done it the other way before parking in Lynmouth then walking to Watersmeet and back again.

owen b

Post by owen b »

The north end of the A846 on Jura must have very low traffic volume. I can't imagine that average daily vehicle flow is more than low double figures, considering that the population of the whole island is only 196 (2011 census) and most of that is at the other end of the island. So far as I am aware, Jura has by some margin the lowest population of any UK island with an A road, excepting minor islets and the like where the A road is directly connected to the mainland or other islands.
Owen
dprior7770

Post by dprior7770 »

Bryn666 wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 00:20 Market Street in central Manchester is still officially the A6 and will have a motorised vehicle count of 0 as it's a permanent pedestrian zone and has been since the late 1980s. It's hard to think there ever was a four lane one way street thundering through there once upon a time.
Is the pedestrianised section of Market Street definitely still the A6? The OS and OSM suggest it's now declassified.