A12 Margaretting Bypass reconstruction Jcn 13-15 & Marks Tey to J26

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Runwell

Re: A12 Margaretting Bypass reconstruction Jcn 13-15 & Marks Tey to J26

Post by Runwell »

Not sure they will be, as this section of the A12 has no lighting, anyway, and there's no work taking place away from the A12 itself.
Runwell

Post by Runwell »

qwertyK wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 10:46
Runwell wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 23:52 Apart from some junction amendments to the south facing slip roads, not aware of any plans to alter the A12 north of J25.

I presume the reason the section at Margaretting is 40 is due to the entire central reservation being replaced with a temporary one, in addition to the varioguard installed. Although now at Marks Tey they have taken out the central reservation entirely up the J26, but the speed limit remains 50mph.
I do remember though, if they were the same works, that works on the A12 near colchester were ongoing for years and motorists complained about it being 40, so NH raised it to 50.

Will the central reservation at margaretting be concrete?
I don't think these would have been on the A12 as there's not been any long term works going on for years in living memory (excluding the many years of temporary lights on the damaged J21 southbound bridge).

The central reserve in its current temporary form is pretty narrow, and given they have already reconstructed the centre lanes, I imagine it will be a concrete barrier, at least in part. I would expect the Marks Tey section to also have a concrete barrier. Bear in mind these two sections had no hard shoulder, so I expect they will look to add a little more width to the carriageways, no matter how small.
Runwell

Re: A12 Margaretting Bypass reconstruction Jcn 13-15

Post by Runwell »

jnty wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 16:25
qwertyK wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 16:19 Makes me laugh why on earth they have to have a "cyclists prohibited" sign. As if any cyclists can actually be found using such a road.
Cycling prohibition are surprisingly unusual on British dual carriageways, and it's often because they were dualing a route that would previously have been vaguely suitable for bikes but couldn't be bothered providing an alternative route. I guess here, because that section is purely a bypass, the alternative route is already there, although it's a bit circuitous. Or is it specifically for duration of the roadworks?
There were never any signs there previously regarding cyclists, or anywhere on the A12 for that matter, as far as I am aware.
Runwell

Re: A12 Margaretting Bypass reconstruction Jcn 13-15

Post by Runwell »

AAndy wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 19:45 I've added the Marks Tey rebuilding section video now: https://youtu.be/uB3SI2hmE5M
Not connected to the current roadworks, but good to see the RCS has recently been changed to replace Bishop's Stortford with Stansted. Not sure why Stortford is given PD status from the Colchester end of the A120, some thirty miles away? Braintree would be a much more common destination from there. Stortford is only really a relevant destination from Braintree, by which point the M11 joins Stansted on the ADS.
qwertyK

Post by qwertyK »

Runwell wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 22:35
qwertyK wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 10:46
Runwell wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 23:52 Apart from some junction amendments to the south facing slip roads, not aware of any plans to alter the A12 north of J25.

I presume the reason the section at Margaretting is 40 is due to the entire central reservation being replaced with a temporary one, in addition to the varioguard installed. Although now at Marks Tey they have taken out the central reservation entirely up the J26, but the speed limit remains 50mph.
I do remember though, if they were the same works, that works on the A12 near colchester were ongoing for years and motorists complained about it being 40, so NH raised it to 50.

Will the central reservation at margaretting be concrete?
I don't think these would have been on the A12 as there's not been any long term works going on for years in living memory (excluding the many years of temporary lights on the damaged J21 southbound bridge).

The central reserve in its current temporary form is pretty narrow, and given they have already reconstructed the centre lanes, I imagine it will be a concrete barrier, at least in part. I would expect the Marks Tey section to also have a concrete barrier. Bear in mind these two sections had no hard shoulder, so I expect they will look to add a little more width to the carriageways, no matter how small.
Out of interest, why is there no hard shoulder on those sections? There are older sections of the A12, like the brentwood bypass, which has one
qwertyK

Post by qwertyK »

Was wondering if with the works they'd get round to replacing other signs, here's some I made whilst messing about in paint.net, envisaging a 3 or 4 lane A12, like the A2 approaching the M25.
A12 J121.png
Runwell

Post by Runwell »

Taken from the Maldon Road bridge earlier this evening. Apart from part of lane 2 heading south from J14, and both lanes at the very end of the scheme, the temporary surface is still in place. A bit of drainage, landscaping, signage, and barrier work to complete as well. Should think it's still on course for the Sunday switchover, weather permitting.

Going through the works past J25, and, to answer an earlier query, it looks like they are sticking with armco through the new scheme, not installing a concrete barrier through the central res.